Alpha8/PX3 DVT Discontinued ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akbpilot

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been reg shopping, and one of the regs on my short list is the Alpha 8/ PX3 DVT combo.

I got a call from my LDS last week telling me the Alpha 8 was being discontinued (not entirely sure if she meant the PX3 DVT was discontinued too, I was busy at the time she called, and didn't think of asking until later).

If this is true, what is it being replaced with, and would it be worth waiting till the replacement comes out?

If it is being replaced, how does this affect the parts for life? Will the regs continue to be supported for parts?

One question they couldn't answer, does the Alpha 8 second have a dive/pre dive adjustment? They seemed to think it did. Hard to tell from the pics and they didn't have one in stock.

Thanks

The Alpha 8 NON DVT is being discontinued - there are no plans to discontinue the DVT version. We are still providing service parts back to the Alpha 3 - no need to worry about parts for many years to come.

The Alpha 8 does not have a dive/pre-dive adjustment.

Doug Krause:
The Alpha 8 NON DVT is being discontinued - there are no plans to discontinue the DVT version. We are still providing service parts back to the Alpha 3 - no need to worry about parts for many years to come.

The Alpha 8 does not have a dive/pre-dive adjustment.

I see. So what you are doing is just discontinuing the FIRST stage Non-DVT PX3's and going to all PX3 DVT's.

I assume from your response (correct me if I'm wrong) you are still going to be using the Alpha 8.

Thanks

Will this have any affect on the Oceanic Alpha 8 with the PX3 Piston Regulator?

mikerault:
Will this have any affect on the Oceanic Alpha 8 with the PX3 Piston Regulator?

The only affect that this has is that the Alpha 8 with PX3 Balanced Piston will no longer be marketed without DVT - our Dry Valve Technology. When DVT was first introduced into existing regulators, both DVT and non-DVT versions were available while we made the transition. The 2007 regulator line will feature DVT exclusively, with the exception of the Alpha 8 Sport (with SP5 unbalanced piston first stage) - it will continue to be available with or without.

The manual I got (which is actualy for the Alpha 7) says that a cold water kit is required if you will be diving in less than 40 degree F water, is that also the case with the Alpha 8?

Mike

mikerault:
The manual I got (which is actualy for the Alpha 7) says that a cold water kit is required if you will be diving in less than 40 degree F water, is that also the case with the Alpha 8?

Mike

The specifications listed are driven by European CE requirements - and it would apply to any reg not containing an environmental protection kit, including the Alpha 8. The GT 3 and Delta 4 both come standard with environmental protection. The Alpha 8 is available with either the PX3 or SP5 first stage, environmental protection is not available for either.

I just got the Alpha 8 Sport and SP5 for Christmas and I'm holding the manual in my hand.

The minimum temperature limit is 50 degrees, not 40, in my manual. But I understand from Doug that this "limitation" is driven by European requirements, which leads me to believe that it is okay to use below 50 degrees.

I am hoping to give it the first tryout (along with my new Oceanic Probe LX BC) on new year's eve at Dutch Springs, where the water temp should be in the upper 40's.

well thats not good, I was planning to buy the PX3 because of the balanced piston/price but now i have to shell out an extra 200 bucks or more for a DVT? oh well too bad they dont balance the price. I really love the alpha 8/SP5 so it is a shame I wont be able to get a hold of the PX3 at a good price. I have everything Oceanic, Their piston regs breath really easy, simple to maintain but I guess I need to try another brand for my regulator. I know im staying away from Cressi / Tusa for my regulator needs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom