The story of Sharm: how diving began

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mad

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi buddies,
a couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to go to the coolest party in Sharm El Sheick at Camel's for it's 20 anniversary.
There I could meet the men who started when there was sand only.
I've written about it here:

http://www.scubaportal.net/diving/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=1

I suggest everybody to look back and think of these pioneers, like Hesham, who did a great work. :wink:

Have a nice day, bye,
Marco

The role of Hisham is important - this is true. He and few others were pioniers in Sharm - starting with absolutly nothing and changing this place into what it's now....

Hisham - Congratulations for 20th anniversary

Mania

Interesting read, Marco... thanks. I had planned to go to Sharm but then 9-11 happened and I grew too cautious. It would have been the "perfect" time to go.

Miss Scuba 2006 was also an interesting story... I should return to Italy to dive (I haven't been there since 1968 and only free dove then).

Great read! Sharm is the best diving I've done so far (Belize, Fiji, Soloman Islands, BVI, Baja are other places I can compare it to) - the underwater life is simply unbelievable, not to mention the fact that I saw tons of hammerheads!

Hesham is incredible, I'd suggest everybody to meet him, if you go to Sharm please report my greetings to Hesham.

Miss Scuba is also interesting, lol! I'll open a new thread about it.

ciao, Marco

There was a group of pioneers in Sharm - Hisham, Adly Mestekawy (owner of Pacha), Ibrahim Mestekawy - it's fascinating to listen to their stories. And hard to imagine that 20 years ago Camel Bar and Bus Stop were just simple grill bars selling grilled meat.
:D

Mania

That was a great party, Marco – I was there too.

It was amazing to be on the Roof Bar chatting to Hesham and other Red Sea pioneers, such as Guy from Red Sea Diving College, Rolf and Petra from Sinai Divers, Umbi from Shark's Bay, etc, etc.

We did a piece in the mag on Camel in March and had photos of Na'ama Bay in 1980 and in 2005, and you just cannot recognise the place!

Managed to sneak a couple of cheeky days of diving in as well!

Mark

We first did Dahab and Sharm in November of '89, there was lot's of camels, sand, hash and UN peace keepers, diving was just OK, we were down at Ras Mohammed, I do remember some swift currents!!!

Back
Top Bottom