For Drysuits - Is there something bad about normal thermal u-wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just wondering if there is some reason why I should dole out $200+ on some Bare or DUI etc drysuit underwear rather than wearing some top and bottom set that I use for winter camping and so on.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Thinsulate is warmer for a given thickness which translates into more warmth per pound of lead on your belt. It also behaves better in terms of both warmth and buoyancy on a suit flood.

Just make sure they are not Cotton for starters.

Bass Pro Shops sells Polypropelene underwear sets. I just got some but haven't tried them out yet. At $25 top and $25 bottoms they are much cheaper than the suits the drysuit manufacturers sell. FWIW, I am diving 65-75 degree waters, so my demands on undergarments are minimal.

I use a motley collection of fleece beneath my drysuit. The coldest water I dive is around 55. If I were diving really cold water then I would probably buy the professional underwear. If you are warm enough with what you have use that.

chrisp:
Bass Pro Shops sells Polypropelene underwear sets. I just got some but haven't tried them out yet. At $25 top and $25 bottoms they are much cheaper than the suits the drysuit manufacturers sell. FWIW, I am diving 65-75 degree waters, so my demands on undergarments are minimal.

It's very important to have polypropelene as your first layer as it is a wicking agent. Otherwise you will freeze. As mentioned above Basspro shops would be a place to look. In general camping supply houses will have them at a reasonable cost. I was refered to a place called Sherpa's here in Wisconsin and was able to get a real nice set cheap. They were factory 2nds which bothers me not. From there, add a fleece or go technical. If you dive neoprene, you won't need to much. In my old Poseidon Unisuit I wore a jogging suit in 35 degree water and was fine. In my Dive Concepts Zflex I wear the poly and a survival undergarment followed by a lycra body suit that makes getting in and out a breeze. I have had that in 32 degree water and been just fine. Good luck.

Jim

Keeping your diving in perspective can save you a lot of money. As mentioned a lot of the high end stuff is geared towards the coldest waters.

For underwear any high perpformance underwear/wicking layer should serve you well. It does not need to be dedicated scuba merchandise.

The actual garments are a bit more optmized with low friction outer layers, thinsulate and venting grommets. I know some divers using hiking/camping/skiing items that do just fine.

Pete

There is an advantage to the one-piece undergarments in that they don't bunch up or gap under my shell suit. Other than that, I haven't found much difference in the undergarments that I use for skiing and the ones that are sold for dry suits.

I tried regular long johns and man did I pay on the lead. I forget what I had on but it was way too much. I spent $$ on a cheap set of microfleece and have no problems. The high $$ undies do have advantages but maybe not that much.

Like mentioned before, stay away from the cotton.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom