Hooded vest vs attached hood

Which is the warmer/better combination

• Hooded vest worn under a jacket

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Non-hooded vest worn under a jacket with attached hood

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTriVan

New
Reaction score
All other things being equal, what do you think is the warmer combination:

A hooded vest under a jacket; or

A non-hooded vest under a jacket with an attached hood?

I didn't visualize this right the first time. Mark has it right in post 7

I have used all sorts of combinations. If you would like the extra layer from the hooded vest, I think that is the best. The vest gives you just a little more warmth on your chest.

What I usually use is a regular hood. I like the freedom of pulling it on and off rather quickly. I can also pop it on at the last second. That is just me though. So if all is fair in love and war, I like the hood on it's own best -

I've got both and never use the separate hood any more. The hooded vest gives me an extra layer of warmth in the torso and conforms better to my head/neck dimensions.

Tried the beannie for a while too ...but retired it after a couple trips.

An attached hood in any form will be more comfortable than a separate hood tucked under a wet suit. The issue is about water migration. If you get the hood attached to the outermost portion of your suit, namely the jacket, you will stop water migration at that point. If you choose to use a hood that is attached to a vest worn inside a jacket you will keep that migrating water away from your skin, but it will still be moving inside the jacket layer.

Mark Vlahos

Missdirected:
I have used all sorts of combinations. If you would like the extra layer from the hooded vest, I think that is the best. The vest gives you just a little more warmth on your chest.

What I usually use is a regular hood. I like the freedom of pulling it on and off rather quickly. I can also pop it on at the last second. That is just me though. So if all is fair in love and war, I like the hood on it's own best -
Funny, I prefer attached hoods for the same reason... since separate hoods have to be tucked in, you can't put it, or your BC, etc. on until you're completely hooded up, and separate hoods don't pull back quite as easily as attached hoods. Likewise, you can't pull it out of your wetsuit and take it off until you can drop your BC. Huge PITA if you do a lot of beach diving that involves stairs...

Attached hoods are both warmer (since they seal better and have fewer entry points) and flip back easier, IMO.

For that same reason, incidentally, you'll always have less water exchange with an attached hood, so adding a vest underneath will be the warmer of the two options presented.

When diving dry, however, I use a separate drysuit hood that is very easy to pop on and off (they end at the neck and don't have a bib to tuck in).

For cold water, there is no comparison to a hooded vest. I use a Bare 3mm Thermalvest with attached 7mm hood layered under a Bare 7mm Artic fullsuit. These components work really well together, and have a slick skin seal at the neck of both components where they meet to get the best seal possible.

With a seperate hood, the hood always seems to bunch up and create opportunities for cold water to trickle down your back.

Dive Safe (and warm)

dcs917:
For cold water, there is no comparison to a hooded vest. I use a Bare 3mm Thermalvest with attached 7mm hood layered under a Bare 7mm Artic fullsuit. These components work really well together, and have a slick skin seal at the neck of both components where they meet to get the best seal possible.

With a seperate hood, the hood always seems to bunch up and create opportunities for cold water to trickle down your back.

Dive Safe (and warm)
But how does your hooded vest + fullsuit compare to a fullsuit with integrated hood + hoodless vest? That was the question...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom