my true or false (from a freind i want to know the answer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noob2

Registered
Reaction score
hi my friend had told me that a crotch strap would be able to hold the weight of a person like if you were to use it for rock climbing. I do not believe him but i just want to know is other people believe in this too.

thanks mike

I bet it would. You can test for yourself. Make a big loop around a horizontal pipe or chin up bar and hang from it. If it breaks you'll know not to go climbing with it.

Check a webbing manufacturer web site and see how much tensile force their 1" and 2" webbing will take before failure. Wikipedia says that webbing comes in strengths in excess of 10,000lbs. so surely you can find something that will work.

Yes, it would hold you. No, you wouldnt want to use it.

Most single layer webbing probably has a tensile strength around 500lbs. Tubular webbing which is used in rock climbing is rated at 6,000-10,000lbs. Just because you can hold your weight up with it doesnt mean that caould withstand any type of loading that it would encounter while climbing. Not to menton you wouldnt want to be held up by a single strap going over your crotch, or at least I dont.

Just remember to have a waist and thigh straps as well.

Should you fall with just a waist strap, you would
never walk again, even before hitting the ground...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom