can a wetsuit be too warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Onda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to be diving alot nearby Playa del Carmen in Mexico, from January to April. 100+ dives in a 10 week period. I live in a drysuit only area and there are no diveshops so I asked my old dive instructor (which sells dive equipment also) if he could order a wetsuit for me. He ordered a 5 mm everflex from scubapro. Well scubapro forgot to put the wetsuit with his order but I finally got it today. I was starting to get nervous since I'm leaving in 10 days. So I went to pick it up. Tried it on and thought it was a little thick for a 5 mm. Turns out scubapro made a mistake and sent a 7 mm! My old instructor asured me one could never be to warm underwater especially if making multiple long dives, well that's the reason I decided to go for a 5 mm instead of a 3 mm anyways... So I took the 7 mm and got it for the price of a 5 mm.

Well now I'm starting to have second thoughts, am I going to me steaming in my 7 mm at 75 F? :snorkel:

I would think you would be very hot before diving, and a 7 mil u/w in PDC would be rather warm also.

If you are from a drysuit only area.. guess that means COLD!!!
My feeling is that you will probably not even need a wetsuit for a couple of dives a day at first.
You will die on the boat waiting to jump in with anything over a 3mm.
Plus who wants to wear extra lead.

Made that mistake the 1st time in Curacao I only had a 7mm suit and a drysuit :shakehead
Went out the same day to buy a 3mm suit on the island :no
That set me back some xtra $$$$ :rofl3:

Yes you can get to warm

My wife got a custom 3mil with a front zip, (she has very long hair, and keeps it inside down her back) we were in the Virgin Islands late last month and she loved that front zip, if she got too hot she just opened it. By the way, why did front zips dissapear? For tropical divivng it is so easy to control your temp.

I dove FL last winter in a 7mm. The water was 72F, I had to go out and buy a beanie cause I was a bit shivery by the end of the second dive!
I live in Canada and do the cold water thing too.

Save yourself some Cash. Check out http://www.tommydsports.com they have front zip 3, 5, and 7mm and a great prises. My 5mm was $61 delivered.

I concur with everyone else... yes, it's easy to overheat underwater, and yes, most likely, you'll be hot.

I'd spring for a 3 mil or 5 mil now.

at 75F, you will need a 1mm or 1.5 core warmer at most. Contact one of the online vendors and see if you can get one shipped pronto. ScubaToys can get one to you in under 10 days, unless you live in some far off land without UPS or USPS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom