More equipment purchase indecisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CenTexDivin

Contributor
Reaction score
Directly above the center of the Earth in the Texa
# of dives
50 - 99
I got about $500 over Christmas that I was going to use to buy gear. I'm at a point where I am only lacking my BC, regs setup, and tanks. I'm not worried about getting a tank for now, but problem I have is that I have enough for the MK17/X650 Scubapro combo from my LDS, but not enough for gauges or an octopus. On the other hand, I could buy a package online through LP or others that includes the BC, regs with gauges and octo from genesis, mares, or some other brand.

So the choice is, do I buy a regs that will last me for a while but keep me renting a reg setup because I don't have an octo or gauges and a BC, or do I get the package so I can continue diving until I graduate college and get a job that is more conducive to supporting this addiction.

I could wait until the summer, but I'm taking another class during the spring semester and the hole in my pocket is almost burnt through.

I am in the same boat. I decided to buy a full set of cheaper equipment (but still good quality) now to support my habit through college and then when I get a better paying job I will replace what is needed with higher end gear. Right now Leisure Pro and my buddies are my main source of equipment.

I also did the same thing, I paid about $800 for my first set-up includng computer. There is a few parts of it that I would like to upgrade soon, nothing I actualy dislike though. But if I had rented I would have spent just as much money by now and wouldnt have got to keep the equipment.

My vote is for the package deal!

For $500 you should be able to get a complete set of 1st stage, primary and alternate seconds, pressure, depth and compass instruments from a slightly competetive local dive shop, or online as you mentioned. What you trade off in buying a less expensive regulator will never matter to most divers. There may be a perceptible change in the ease of breathing but for recreational depths it won't make any real difference. Given proper care it will last and be reliable and as I said most will not out grow it. If you really have technical aspirations then you may find yourself upgrading but will have a need for pony and stage regulators where this one could have a long useful life.

Piece mealing it may be a PITA. Needing to replumb at every rental event will take a toll on your first stage threads and you will always be diving with freshly assembled gear. Many shops only have complete sets for rent and getting just instruments or alternates will be hard.

You will also need to buy a QD hose to connect you rental BCs.

Pete

Dive rite , you can get the RG2500 set that comes with octo and a nice brass SPG for right at $500. Its eqeal and some will ague its better than scubapro.

CenTexDivin:
I got about $500 over Christmas that I was going to use to buy gear. I'm at a point where I am only lacking my BC, regs setup, and tanks. I'm not worried about getting a tank for now, but problem I have is that I have enough for the MK17/X650 Scubapro combo from my LDS, but not enough for gauges or an octopus. On the other hand, I could buy a package online through LP or others that includes the BC, regs with gauges and octo from genesis, mares, or some other brand.

So the choice is, do I buy a regs that will last me for a while but keep me renting a reg setup because I don't have an octo or gauges and a BC, or do I get the package so I can continue diving until I graduate college and get a job that is more conducive to supporting this addiction.

I could wait until the summer, but I'm taking another class during the spring semester and the hole in my pocket is almost burnt through.

Give me a call toll-free. I can put you in some high-quality, name brand complete regulator outfits for this price or less. Everything has a factory warranty. Thanks.

(800) 601-DIVE

Phil Ellis

Give scubatoys a call. They will usually match Leisurepro's pricing, and you'll be buying from an authorized dealer, so you'll likely save money on servicing. They're not a scubapro dealer anymore, so you'd need to consider other brands, but there are other brands that are as good or better that are cheaper.

I've heard great things about the DiveRite regs that terramask suggests, although I haven't been diving with one. The Oceanic Delta 4 is a fantastic reg (it's what I dive), and Zeagle is another option, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom