What's the best way to ship tanks from LA to NYC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceBergSlim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a set of double 121's in LA and want to ship them to NYC. I figure I will break em' down and roll them each in a great deal of cardboard and that funky saran-wrap stuff. Then what? UPS, USPS? I ask what is the cheapest way to send them x-country?

you have to take the valves off to ship them (not sure if you know that). in other words, the tanks must be open at the top.

i'd use UPS ground; it's cheap and relatively quick

H2Andy:
you have to take the valves off to ship them (not sure if you know that). in other words, the tanks must be open at the top.

Is that a new rule. I shipped some UPS ground in August with the valves in.

no, that's what the guys at ScubaToys told me (they shipped my tanks without valves about two years ago)

....but... that's the only tanks i've ever had shipped, so ... things might have changed

oh, also, my tanks didn't come open at the top like i said ... i just remembered that they had a fake "plug valve" on them.

H2Andy:
no, that's what the guys at ScubaToys told me (they shipped my tanks without valves about two years ago)

....but... that's the only tanks i've ever had shipped, so ... things might have changed

oh, also, my tanks didn't come open at the top like i said ... i just remembered that they had a fake "plug valve" on them.

I shipped them in the same packing that UPS packed them in about a year and a half ago. I too had assumed that valve-out was the rule. I tried looking it up on the UPS site but found the site recursive and non-navigable. The plugs are to protect the tank and I need to get some. Thanks for reminding me. It seems safer for the valves if they are out when shipped.

IceBergSlim:
I have a set of double 121's in LA and want to ship them to NYC. I figure I will break em' down and roll them each in a great deal of cardboard and that funky saran-wrap stuff. Then what? UPS, USPS? I ask what is the cheapest way to send them x-country?

I think you may find that FedEx ground is the least expensive option. My buddy shipped an AL80 a while back, and it was about $20. Valves should be removed. They may never know if they are not, but that is the rule.

Good Luck,

For the record:

Rolled the valveless tanks like a joint in a Home Depot cardboard box. Left about 2 inches of play at top and bottom.

Added a single ply cardboard cap to both ends.

Wrapped liberally in that saran-wrap stuff and packing tape.

Called UPS and am having them shipped 3000 miles for about 140 bucks.

Endgame: less than 200 dollars to ship a very heavy double load across the country.

H2Andy:

Don't think so. I've bought 5 tanks via the internet and all of come with valves installed, current VIP and a small amount of air and were ready to fill. All have come via UPS.

Yeah, I just got a HP100 shipped to me from Scubatoys with the valve on and probably 25-50 psi of air in there. The VIP was already done and I just got it filled. Easy as pie.

Funny, I bought a couple of AL80s from Scubatoys last summer and they came with the valves out. When I talked to the folks at Scubatoys about the correct way to install the valves they told me all tanks are shipped in that manner and then how to install without over torquing the valves.

Oh well????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom