DAN magazine article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So has everyone gotten their January/February DAN magazine yet? Flip to page 33 and read about the really cool-sounding Divefest that goes on every year in Virginia. I wonder if we could get something going on a lesser scale in Lake Pleasant? The prizes wouldn't have to be as huge as the ones at Divefest, but the mere thought of an underwater "Easter Egg Hunt" of sorts, using golf balls, would be a real blast!

Do you guys think there would there be any LDS(es) in Arizona willing to help sponsor/donate *small* prizes like free tank rentals or fills, clips, mouthpieces, mask straps, etc? I'd be willing to pay a small entry fee to help offset costs. It would provide a good opportunity for Arizona's divers to get out and meet one another, and would also provide exposure for LDS in the area.

What do you think?

Even if the whole event with prize thing wouldn't work out, I'd still love to go Easter Egg Hunting in Lake Pleasant. We pitch golf balls into the drink, then go look for them. Good Search/Recovery practice.

Jess, we're planning on running some events at the lake this year to try to get more divers out at the lake. I'd love to see a big event sponsored by several LDSs from the area, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. At this point, there's really no time to organize something like that. It takes a while. The Maricopa County Park Office also needs to approve a special permit and collect their fees. I believe we'd also be required to have EMS services standing by for a larger event. In other words, there are a lot of logistics involved - too many to put something together at this point. Keep checking our site, though. We'll be posting some fun sort of stuff in our calendar - Easter Egg Hunt will be one thing. We'll be offering S&R this spring and may even throw a giant Easter Bunny in the lake!

Ah yes, I forgot about legalities. And the US is supposed to be a free country... free to sue, yes, I know. Good point!

I'll talk to you more about S&R coming up. I have one dive from my AOW, so I could do the other and train a bit more.

I didn't know rabbits could dive. Although I do have to tell you that at my undergraduate school there was a student who was a rabbit. No, I'm serious. There was this eccentric lady who had heaps of money, and she claimed that her rabbit was really smart, and enrolled him in art classes. She'd bring him to campus in a baby stroller, and the rabbit would go to classes. Harvey was his name. Harvey painted pictures and took tests and everything. Then Harvey enrolled in a theatre course, and at the same time I was taking a different theatre course. The professor was having fits about "the damn rabbit", and other phrases. One day Harvey pooed on the stage, and the professor got really vexed and just about threw it out of class, but the rabbit lady--no one could remember her name, and even the academic vice principal once called her the rabbit lady-- threatened to go to the department head (the professor was being evaluated for tenure) and he relented.

I know you don't think I'm serious, or I've been appreciating too much beer, or I'm still narc'd from diving in the safe ocean, but I'm not lying!

After spending a heap of money to educate Harley the Rabbit, do you know what the did to repay the rabbit lady? He went to Rabbit Heaven, and one can suppose he's up there painting pictures of sunsets and delicious carrots.

So it goes.

S&R is a 4 dive specialty. The course would be held all weekend. There's just too much involved to do it in a couple of dives. Also, on our 4 dive courses, we have you start from the beginning. Because of the layout of the course, it works better that way.

As for rabbits...you really need to lay off whatever you're taking... :D Having a tea party later???

Ah yes, I see! In a way, it's better that S & R is 4 dives. There's really a lot involved, and a lot to practice, and in some ways even 4 dives isn't much, but you can only hold people captive for so long. Even Hannibal Lecter escaped eventually from what he called "the inconvenience of being incarcerated". But I didn't see much information on the S & R course on your site. A later addition?

No, I swear I was sober as a church mouse when I wrote my last post. Honest Injun, I've had nothing but 2 cups of Starbucks Coffee and 5 generous glasses of Brita-filtered water for liquids today. I have to get my system cleaned out after the week of excessive drinking and eating at the all-inclusive resort in Cozumel, otherwise I'll require two Michelin tires around me to submerge in the unsafe lake.

Yes, a tea party. Green tea, I called into the Asian Food Store (17th st.) yesterday and stocked up. Dinner is sushi and leftover butter chicken.

I think you're just jealous because I went to school with a gifted rabbit is all. Didn't you have any rabbits in med. school? I think you were robbed, then, of a valuable educational experience, if you only went to school with other humans.

I'll bet you a tank rental/fill there was a rabbit at my school when I went there, and he attended art classes and took a theatre class as well. Deal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom