Anyone ever dive Clear Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Am wondering if anyone has, or known anyone who has dived in Clear Lake? I am new to the area, wondering what the visibility is like? Any helpful info or direction would be much appreciated.....

Thank You,

Mike Conser

welcome to scubaboard, Mike!!

I am in Houston area as well. It will be interesting to read what others come back with. I am guessing not a lot of dives are done out there. Visibility? Let's see what gets posted:D

No I havent. Make that hell no. Its a yucky mess and generally very shallow. I have too much respect for my equipment to expose it to all that mud and algae.

I wouldn't even think of diving Clear Lake either with it's zero visability. We tried Berryessa once and that was two foot of vis at anything over 25 feet.

Forget the local lakes when we have an ocean to dive!

Here is our local group of North Coast divers http://www.northcoastdivers.org

Thanks, Peter!

However, Shifty is looking for something local to the Clear Lake / Houston area. Here in the Gulf of Mexico region, you have to travel to an offshroe platform by private boat or 100+ miles out to sea on a charter boat to dive the ocean for anything worthwhile. Clear Lake is right on the bay and within 50 miles of Houston, but as stated earlier, it suqs @$$.

AXL72:
Thanks, Peter!

However, Shifty is looking for something local to the Clear Lake / Houston area. Here in the Gulf of Mexico region,

Then what is his post doing in the forum for the NorCal section of the California Kelp Divers? Clear Lake

oops..i am the village idiot...schucks sawry.

The reason I am asking, is because I am a tournament bass fisherman too...... was wondering if I will be able to see well enough to locate fish on structure around 30' or so....Doesnt sound like it....Berryessa is far better than Clear Lake I'm sure.....just trying to figure out a way to get down there and see whats goin on...lol... thanks everyone....If anyone has ever in fact dived here, would love to hear about it.... might be tolerable on the South end in the winter.... no algae, weeds, vis from the boat is usually around 6 to 8 feet.. on a good day....

Thanks,

Mike Conser

I did once---not worth the effort----It's not clear ---mud bottom very soft. You will sink to your ankles in soft mud---viz is nothing---

what about berryessa?? i've seen very good (20' ) vis there in the spring.... course the water is 49F, but hey, what ya gonna do?

Back
Top Bottom