Bouyancy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linz617

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All - My husband and I will be snorkeling in salt water, at and around Cozumel. Do you think a 3mm shorty would keep him bouyant? He's 5'8 and around 185. He won't be diving down, he just kicks around on the surface. Thanks!

That suit will add about 4lbs positive buoyancy at the surface

Linz617:
Hi All - My husband and I will be snorkeling in salt water, at and around Cozumel. Do you think a 3mm shorty would keep him bouyant? He's 5'8 and around 185. He won't be diving down, he just kicks around on the surface. Thanks!
It really depends on what makes up his 185 lbs. Fat, muscle or other? You may want to try a 3mm in the pool to give him an idea of what will happen. You can use that as a gauge to see what to expect in denser salt water.

It will also make him more comfortable staying in the water for longer periods.

Helps against sunburn too... a dive skin or rash guard can too.

I'd be wearing my 3mm full suit and a light weightbelt.

Chad

Thanks all - I'm on a mission to get him excited about learning to dive, and I thought this time around adding a wetsuit instead of the lifejacket that he wore last time might push the idea further along.... He always psychs himself out about not being able to float, even though he can float fine. But it might be detrimental to my cause if I get him a suit and he sinks like a rock... Might also be detrimental to the marriage, I suppose!

Back
Top Bottom