Adding Traction to DC Drysuit Soles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The Diving Concepts drysuit boot soles have a well deserved reputation for wearing smooth quit quickly. Mine are as smooth as a baby's bottom (well...).

No big deal, except that one of our popular dive locations has a slope to climb after the dive, and it's now covered with slippery ice and snow. While all the other divers, with there boot traction in tact, make it up just fine, it is quit the precarious climb for me and my doubles. Twice now I have fallin' to my knees on the snowy rocks in my doubles and had to crawl to the top. Even the slick parking lot is a slapstick, ice skating adventure for me.

So, someone suggested that I mix gritty sand into some aquaseal and paint it on the bottom of my soles to restore traction.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Any thoughts or other ideas? No use replacing the boots - these things wear fast and I'd soon be back in the same situation.

Crampons.

Duh. :rolleyes:

Next dum question...

---
Ken

aquaseal and sand should work fine!!!!

I was watching Master and Commander. The use a lot of sand and grit to improve the surgeon's traction during shipboard operations. :D

I also think the Aquaseal and grit method seems the least invasive. The other thought is to buy some extra large sneakers and put them over the boot if possible???

X

As per crampons...do you actually want something so spikey near a soft bottomed boot? Ouch!

I have found having a Frankenstein suit to be quite the benefit. I get rid of inferior boots on a suit and have them replaced with a better boot from a different company.

I have gone the hard crampon route and was not a big fan of the performance. My dry suit boots are not stiff enough on ice to give me any cushioning between my feet and the steel crampon. Also, they are too flexible to hold the metal frame well so they constantly get out of whack. Granted my crampons are pretty old models. This next year I plan on trying some yaktrax, which are soft slip on and flexible. Here is a link to check them out.
http://cozywinters.com/ice-cleats/ice-cleats.html?source=go&gclid=CPW8nL2Mw4kCFQn7Ygodw01edQ

Mo2vation:
Crampons.

Duh. :rolleyes:

Next dum question...

---
Ken

I was kidding

Do you guys really wear crampons? Wear them down then just stash them at the exit?

Not a problem in SoCal in the winter, just so you know... :wink:

---
Ken

Cabelas sells both glue on felt soles and add on golf cleats for waders. Either shoud work well for you. Yaktraks also should work OK but they like to fall off.

Wildcard:
Cabelas sells both glue on felt soles and add on golf cleats for waders. Either shoud work well for you. Yaktraks also should work OK but they like to fall off.

If you put permanent cleats on your booties, won't it be kinda hard to put your fins on?

I think I would try putting the cleats on a pair of sandals that woluld fit over the booties.

Or, instead of the aquaseal I'd try Shoegoo. They advertise that you can use it to 'rebuild' worn-out tennis shoe soles.

What about the Truck Bedliner from Dupont. Rubberized Epoxy with sand and you can make it as thick as you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom