can a person ever buy used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I ask this question because it seems like when you buy used equipment the LDS Acts like there is always somthing dreadfully wrong with it so in order to service it you have to pay as much as buying a new item.
it doesnt matter if you have spent 500.00- 1500.00 on new equipment they still want you to buy every thing new and for big price.
I know they need sales but not everybody can buy all brand new stuff,what are we suppose to do just not dive till we hit the lottery.
If you are dealer for any specific product you should service that product even if your customer purchased it used and for a reasonable price for that item.
this thinking of putting down equipment as old and wore out and it will take alot of money to fix is not wright.
When you buy expensive equipment they tell you there going to service ten years down the road,but you take the same brand that you prchased used in and lets say its 4 years old then suddenly it is junk,or big fix.
if i have to send my stuff far away to get serviced i may buy it from far away to! good service sells new product and loyalty

Yes you can buy used equipment. Just make sure you buy good equipment. A lot of good stuff can be had for a fraction of the price.

there are those shops that will only service what they have sold. Not smart business if you ask me. If you run into those, go down the road and see if you can get stuff serviced there.

Alternatively, if you have enough equipment down the road, it may make sense to start doing services yourself. But that is probably for the future.

I have bought a fair amount of used equipment now. Some of the purchases have gone well, and others haven't.

The shop where I get my stuff serviced doesn't treat my used gear any differently from my new gear, nor do they differentiate in any way I can perceive between stuff I've bought from them, and stuff I've bought elsewhere, whether new or used.

I would say that, when you are contemplating the purchase of used regulators, make sure you find out how much it will cost to service them and add that to the used price. It may end up so close to new that the warranty, or parts for life programs, are well worth the small extra cost.

Likewise, some of the best and worst dive gear I've purchased has been used. My fins, wings, tanks, and one of my backplates are all used, and I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I've also purchased a rusted tank, a leaky camera, a worthless regulator, and a number of other "sight unseen" wastes of money. Do your homework... both good and bad used stuff is out there.

I've never had any major problems with the used gear I buy. In fact, much of my gear IS used because in their infinite wisdom the manufacturers no longer make the models I prefer to use!

I've bought plenty of used gear. I've bought BCDs, reg set ups, computers, masks and fins. As long as you check out the gear beforehand, and check reviews and prices on them you should be OK.
C-Dawg

It all boils down to buyer beware. I just bought a used flash, flooded on the first dive. I will not buy a used reg but all of my camera gear is used. Including my new used flash. I hope this one will not flood!

Dave

Yes you can buy used gear but, only when you know what to look for.
And here comes the problem,how does a new diver know what to look for.:confused:
You can strike lucky, but you also can strike out.:11:
So to a new diver I would say bring somebody who knows,if not...
How lucky do you think you are :popcorn:Please do NOT become a statistic.

I've bought used BCDs and regs I just made sure they were brands serviced by the 3 or 4 LDSes that I frequent.

Cheers.

-J.-

squidster:
I ask this question because it seems like when you buy used equipment the LDS Acts like there is always somthing dreadfully wrong with it so in order to service it you have to pay as much as buying a new item.

You can always learn to service the gear yourself, buy gear used that doesn't need any meaningful service (fins, backplate, etc) and/or send it in for service to someone who doesn't bust your balls about it.

By the way, what would happen if you bought something from the LDS and then sold it to a buddy who also used the same LDS? Would they bust his balls because it was used while not busting yours if you had continued to use it?

Back
Top Bottom