What do you guys think about this drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3.5mm neoprene is fairly thin,and from the description is doesn't say that it is crushed neoprene.

Got to agree with karstvr, 3.5mm seems alittle lite weight for me.

I see your from NY, so you'll encounter water temps down in the low 40's. Just so you have some reference, this weekend we did a 45 minute dive in 46 degree water and by the end I was alittle cold. And I use a tri-lam suit and was wearing my heaviest underwear plus sweat pants and a sweat shirt.

So, make sure this suit will give you the thermal protection you'll need.

I could be wrong about that being it... I know that the one they have is 3.5mm crushed neoprene... According to all the instructors at the shop it is super comfortable, but they obviously don't have an objective opinion... In general, how do you guys like crushed neoprene suits vs trilam?

When I was looking at a suit for myself, that one was a candidates. Very comfortable, well built and indeed a 3.5 compressed neoprene.

That suit almost felt like wearing a nice comfy wetsuit, not a drysuit at all. The only reason I opted not to get it was due to the fact that I needed/wanted a custom suit.

That's what I had heard from the guys at the shop - I'll have to check it out in the pool next time I go!

Tamas:
When I was looking at a suit for myself, that one was a candidates. Very comfortable, well built and indeed a 3.5 compressed neoprene.

That suit almost felt like wearing a nice comfy wetsuit, not a drysuit at all. The only reason I opted not to get it was due to the fact that I needed/wanted a custom suit.

Just to clarify, have you used any other compressed neoprene suit, and are you sure this is basically just compressed neoprene? I'm asking because the product description makes it sound like this is some newly invented, exclusive material, but I guess it's just marketing BS:

TUSA's stylish X-PERT drysuits combine recently developed stretchable M(M) neoprene rubber with a top quality lycra outer skin to produce the most comfortable drysuit you've ever worn. Newly invented soft, stretchable 3.5mm M(M) neoprene rubber, high quality lycra-laminated outer skin, ... <snip>

The X-Pert suit is manufactured from a recently developed high quality 3.5mm M(M) rubber. This new neoprene not only provides incredible warmth, but also increased comfort and mobility. The stretchable M(M) rubber is laminated with a high quality lycra on the outside for extra flexibility. This suit combines superior heat retaining characteristics with softness and stretchability, resulting in an extremely warm,comfortable suit.

*Floater*:
Just to clarify, have you used any other compressed neoprene suit, and are you sure this is basically just compressed neoprene? I'm asking because the product description makes it sound like this is some newly invented, exclusive material, but I guess it's just marketing BS:

The price seems awful inexpensive for crushed neoprene,this falls in line with what I'd expect with a regular neoprene suit. If this is the case I don't see a 3.5mm neoprene suit, it is almost an oxymoron.

karstdvr:
The price seems awful inexpensive for crushed neoprene,this falls in line with what I'd expect with a regular neoprene suit. If this is the case I don't see a 3.5mm neoprene suit, it is almost an oxymoron.

Not sure what you mean, but I'd love to see a 3.5mm (regular) neoprene drysuit because it could be stretchy and form-fitting like a wetsuit - even more so that compressed ones, and lighter to boot. But I assume there's a good reason why they don't exist (unless this is one). Maybe 3.5mm neoprene isn't rugged and durable enough for drysuit diving?

I don't know about that particular suit, as I haven't had one to play with yet, but I just tested an Outer Edge drysuit, and that is 3mm compressed neoprene, and the neoprene used is super-stretchy, similar to that used by Scubapro on the 5mm Everflex. It is the most-comfortable drybag I have worn, even better than my 4mm compressed neoprene made-to-measure DMS Waterware suit.

It was more like wearing a 4/5mm wettie than a drysuit. I am not a big fan of latex neck and wrist seals, but these ones were very comfortable – and the company will swap them for neoprene versions for £25 for the wrists and £25 for the neck, so if you really, really don't want latex, there is an option.

Check out the website for pics, etc – www.sports-components.com

Mark

Back
Top Bottom