1st dive set-up, let me know how I did!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jvalent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok so I just took my scuba diving course and dove a few times and decided it was time to waste some scholarship and christmas money on my own gear. I love the sport and plan on doing it as often as possible so I figured what the heck. I was just wondering if I got some good gear, or if the salesman just made it sound good.
I purchased:
Atmos Aeris AI computer w/ QD
Scubapro Classic Plus w/ A2
Scubapro Mk25/S600 reg
XCEL wetsuit
other small things such as weights, retractor for computer, knife, gloves, boots, fins, mask, snorkel

So for a recreational/ tropical diver, how did I do?

You may want to mention how much you paid for the complete setup if you want to know how you did regarding price. Scubapro regs are great, tough, reliable, and should last a very long time. The Air2 is nice for recreational diving, provided you and your dive buddy train using it, and you keep it serviced.

The Aeris Atmos is a nice computer, and Xcel makes good wetsuits.

Have you ever considered a BP/Wing setup, instead of a BCD?

It sounds like you are on the right track. I wish my first set of gear would have been that nice.

Congratulations!

went back and added the S600 to the list, forgot about that for some reason...
I went diving with the gear today in a pool and loved it, that reg allowed me to breathe so easily.
I have looekd into the back/wing style set-up but figured I would go traditional for my first set-up and if for some reason I need a wing style for a certain type fo diving later on, I can add that to my gear collection. Thanks for the input.

real-diver, I see you are from NC, are there any good diving locations off of the coast or any good wreck dives inland that I may be interested in. Me and by buddies are always looking for a dive site, and since we go to college in Clemson, that isn't a long drive at all. Thanks for any info.

There are many great diving locations off the coast of NC, to include wrecks, artificial reefs, and ledges. Many divers come to NC for the wreck diving, extending especially from Morehead City, down to Wilmington. Seas are quite choppy this time of year, but there are also good days. The closer you get to the Gulf Stream, the warmer and clearer the water gets. Depths range from 45-110 ft., with an average of 65-85 ft. for many popular sites. There are several areas where you can dive with very large sandtiger sharks and barracuda.

The normal season here usually begins around May 1, and goes through to around the end of October. Of course, hurricane season determines a lot regarding conditions, etc.

Hi Jvalent....Looks like good equipment to me. Hope they didn't take you to the cleaners on price. The only item on your list that I come close to is an Areis computer (I have an XR-2) I think 30+ dives on it and it has worked great.

well price wasn't tooo much of an issue to me as I just wanted to get good reliable equipment. I ended up paying 800 for the BC with the A2, 700 for computer with QD, and about 600 for the MK25/S600 reg. After looking online it looked like a good deal to me considering when you buy offline you might not be getting the warranty and lifetime parts replacement (regulator).

Some of the prices look somewhat high to me. Looks like you paid quite a bit more than I would have paid, but hopefully you'll get good warranty service, and at least you've supported your LDS. The products are top-notch.

well as long as the products I got are great quality and all, I'm fine with possibly overspending a little. I just wanted to make sure the products I purchased weren't gonna fall apart in a couple years.

You got some good stuff there, Take care of it and it'll last you a lifetime of dives. The price sounds about right for my neck of the woods. The only thing I can think to ask is if you got it one at a time or if you got it as a package deal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom