Pinnacle Merino vs Elastiprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rumblefish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I decided to email Pinnacle about the differences between their merino and elastiprene models of wetsuits and thought I would share their reply with the rest of the board.

===============================================================

If you are talking about matching similar thicknesses of suits (ie.
Elastiprene 3 versus Seal 3mm), you will see about 25% greater thermal efficiency in the Merino lined product. Though our Elastiprene lining is about 10% more efficient than a traditional wetsuit lining, it is no match for Merino.
The Arctic will hold about a 28% to 30% advantage over the Elastiprene 7 for the same reason outlined above, and also because of its unique batwing gusset in the main zipper, which basically makes it a hoodless semi-dry suit.
The Elite will hold about a 12% advantage over the Elastiprene 7. It has the Merino factor going for it, but it is also only 5mm in the arms and legs, whereas the Elastiprene 7 is 7mm thick throughout.
If you are strictly concerned about warmth, then Merino is always the way to go, whether you are choosing between another Pinnacle Aquatics suit or any other suit on the market.
If the factor of stretch becomes an issue (such as if you have reduced flexibility or joint movement) or if you have an unusually-proportioned body, then the Elastiprene series may be a better choice, and (depending on the thickness that you are considering) you may be able to get the benefits of Merino in the torso had head by adding a Merino Lined Hooded Vest.
Beginning next week, you will be able to get the best of both worlds by choosing the Merino-Elastiprene 5, a 5mm high-stretch Elastiprene suit with a new blend of highly elastic Merino lining. The 7mm version of this suit will be available in March, and the 3mm will be available in May.
If you have any follow-up questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

PINNACLE AQUATICS
2021 Las Positas Court
Suite 119
Livermore, CA 94551
USA
Phone: 925-606-8300
Fax: 925-606-8305
E-mail: info@PinnacleAquatics.com
www.PinnacleAquatics.com

I just got a 3mm Pinnacle Breaker and love it to death with the exception of their turtleneck seal. I hope they fixed this in their new suit and make a 3mm version :-D

itch808:
I just got a 3mm Pinnacle Breaker and love it to death with the exception of their turtleneck seal. I hope they fixed this in their new suit and make a 3mm version :-D

I just bought this suit for a trip to Bonaire in March (won't get a chance to use it until then). The suit looks very well made, but I was wondering what you don't like about the collar? I myself found it a bit odd when trying the suit on, but was hoping to get use to it. I understand how it likely keeps you warmer (preventing water exchange), but would hate to find it very annoying. Thanks.

I have the Pinnacle Seal 3mm Merino and it is a great suit. I am nice an toasty, and it moves (streches) very nicely.

We just brought in the Pinnacle line due to their quality of suits. I will have them on the website tomorrow, they just released their new price list.......I agree that the Merino is the way to go. I have an old Arctic that I love!!!!!

How does that wool lining do when it is saturated with urine? I would think that these suits would tend to stink a lot sooner than any other suit???

Just like any other suit.....clean it.....and I dont pee in my suits :wink: Your Gross :D.

But honestly after a few years, before these last couple batches of suits, they did without proper cleaning run into some smelly suits. But with anything and in time, they corrected the issue.....but you should still you some cleaner....and for the pee prone, extra mirazyme :D

If you want, you could use a combination with Merino and the Elastiprene. I use the Elastiprene 7mm wetsuit and the Merino vested hood and that even kept me warm in 50 degree of water. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom