Scooter of your choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Chief

Reaction score
Hello

I'm just about geard up to purchase a DPV diver propulsion veicle and would like to hear any pros and cons about models other divers have used. I have my eye set on the Farallon MK7 because I've used them in the past and found them to be mechanically sound and dependable. Any comments on other "DPV" models welcomed.

Master Chief

The Farallon is a riding DPV, isn't it? That requires body english to maneuver, causing higher gas consumption.

Get a tow-behind. Get a Gavin:

http://www.gavinscooters.com/

Roak

Definately Gavin.

Tom

Gavin! Got mine in April of this year.

Dave D

Hello

Thanks guys for the replies. Now my understanding is that the GAVIN is more suitable for cave divers etc, Wouldn't you get prop wash riding behind it. I kind of like the exploration type Farallons which you ride on. I've also heard the the Gavin uses Mako motors and that there windings have been increased for improved tork. Secondly I also heard that the Mako's multy slip clutch system is a poor design in the Gavins were as the Farallon uses a direct drive 24 and 48 volt general electric motor which is easly serviced at any electric motor repair center and has no clutch to wear down. Could it be that there is a love for the Gavin and Emmersion basically on there awsome H bomb look?. Your comments welcomed and appreciated.

Master Chief

Master Chief once bubbled...
the Farallon uses a direct drive 24 and 48 volt general electric motor which is easly serviced at any electric motor repair center and has no clutch to wear down.
What happens Master Chief when you get line caught in the prop of a Farallon with no clutch? Or a part of your anatomy?

As for the prop wash from a Gavin... it doesn't hit you if you are using it correctly.

But it sounds like you are sold on the Farallons anyway so...

You guys down in Florida probably know Ritigars place in Live Oak

I think he is selling the Emmersion. I am not sure. but it seemed to be what everybody was buying down there when i was there.

what do you think of the Emmersion [if that is the one he is selling]

I use my gavin for wreck, not cave;

Real quickly you are able to determine correct positioning, out of the propwash, in the slipstream caused by the scooter;

You present a smaller area to break the water with than a ride on;

You must have a clutch in case anything gets fouled;

The clutch is a $5 replacement part;

If you want you can get a "slippable without dammage clutch" for about $125;

The manufacturer (George Irvine) warrants the scooter for as long as you own it;

It will outperform any scooter out there;

BUT - A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still!

Your money, get what you believe will suit you best, you don't have to justify your purchase to anyone - except maybe your wife!

Dave D

Hi

Thanks again guys for all your comments. I think the Gavins are great scooter to, don't get me wrong here but I just find the Farallons better for long hauls and exploration. The new Farallon which is smaller and looks like the older MK5 will be available soon the handles are positioned on the rear of the unit so I guess there going for that cave diver deco bottle dragging market. As for getting lines caught in the Farallons, like any dive you prepair and position your gear befor you dive. Having a clutch or direct drive will not help you in a gear entaglement situation the damage is usualy done befor the props stop anyways and thats why Farallon installed a prop guard. One other thing to concider is that the Mako motor has many seals, o-rings and clipable plastic parts that tend to wear out and break down, were as the Farallon motors have two and the seals are positioned on the shaft assembly away from the motor so that if there is a leak it does not flood and blow the motor first thing.

Cheers

Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom