Opinion! DUI Drysuit TLSSE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrsilly

Registered
Reaction score
A LDS has been holding a drysuit for me for about 2 months. I'm starting to have doubts about whether I should purchase it or save and get a better suit. The owner is giving it to me at cost ($650). There aren't any extras to the drysuit. He said that it was new and that he had it for a year. My question is this.... The suit has never been used and the seals look good, is it still worth purchasing if the manufactured date is 1999? Because of the date, I'm a bit leary. Any advise? :confused:

mrsilly:
A LDS has been holding a drysuit for me for about 2 months. I'm starting to have doubts about whether I should purchase it or save and get a better suit. The owner is giving it to me at cost ($650). There aren't any extras to the drysuit. He said that it was new and that he had it for a year. My question is this.... The suit has never been used and the seals look good, is it still worth purchasing if the manufactured date is 1999? Because of the date, I'm a bit leary. Any advise? :confused:

The first thing I'd want to know where it's been between 1999 and 2005 or so?
If it fits, the seals are good and it does not leak it might be a good deal provided that it is in fact "new".

How about the manufacture warranty?

Does your LDS count the warranty period from the purchasing date or from 1999?

I'd have my doubts that it's "new" having been made 8 years ago. Being generous would say it's 7 years ago, but that being the case where was it stored and how was it stored? That's important in a drysuit.

The TLSSE is a nice drysuit in terms of fit, to me anyhow, it's certainly not worth the price he's asking for one of that age. Glued seams tend to leak after so long, I'd not trust that age of a suit to be "dry". The seals might be fine, but again without knowing where it was who's to say those seals will last.

Thanks for the advice... when the LDS reopens (they're closed for another week), I'm going to call and say that I'd rather save my money and get a new suit with the accessories I want. Besides, I'm waiting to be accepted into grad school and need to pay my tuition. :)

I forgot about the seals...I'm glad that they were mentioned. Thanks!

Good advice above BUT I have also seen people pay that amount for a USED suit that old and not complain as well. I don't think that is a bad deal providing it really is new and they give you a warranty for it. If it is new, it should maybe still come with the 7 years warranty from DUI from the time YOU purchased it from the dealer IF he is the real deal. Good luck! That said, I always say wait and buy what you want later cuz you will eventually anyway if you are hooked like we all are...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom