http://www.diveheart.org/

Amazon.com sells shark fin soup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rocha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
When people think about shark fin soup, most picture small restaurants in Asia, but you can buy your own can of shark fin soup from the comfort of your home, directly from Amazon, yes, you heard it right, check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Rim-Gourmet-Dragonfly-Shark/dp/B0001RIQLW

Really amazing, please, if you have the time drop a line as a customer review, send them an e-mail, or better yet, do both. From the speed that sharks are being fished (mostly for their fins), the next generation won't have the chance to see them. I think all divers should be advocates of shark conservation.

You can buy shark fin soup in a can in many asian grocery stores.

I'm a health inspector for a municipality North of Dallas, and one of our Asian groceries had actual (so they claimed) shark fin cartilidge on sale for some astronomical amount (to me). Unfortunately I couldn't do anything about it.

TwoBit

Not to defend the product, but realize it's not being sold by Amazon. Rather by one of the many vendors that use Amazon as a storefront.

If we make enough noise Amazon can and probably would remove the product, this is one of their rules that they send to merchants:

Offensive material: Amazon.com reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of listings posted to our site. Also, be aware of cultural differences and sensitivities. Some items may be acceptable in one country, but unacceptable in another. With that being said, please be careful to post items that are appropriate for our global community.

If they remove it, the vendor will be pressed to eliminate it from their product line up too. Here is the information for the original vendor in case you want to drop them a line too:

Pacific Rim Gourmet

http://www.pacificrimgourmet.com/

customerservice@pacificrim-gourmet.com

Company Address
Pacific Rim Gourmet
75-5660 Kopiko Street, Suite C7-210
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

If we sit and do nothing, nothing will happen...

man, I have never bought anything from amazon so it is not letting me post a comment. I was hoping they would be able to find me some manatee steaks :D

Hey guys - I just posted this to DivePhotoGuide.com, emailed Amazon and Pacific Rim.
I'm also going to syndicate the story to a bunch of our partners so other can help put the pressure on as well.

Pressure will easily get Amazon to remove this item, as someone pointed out, they most likely don't even realize it's there, or the ramifications of an Amazon.com selling shark fin soup. Pacific Rim is another story. But we can easily get Amazon to remove these types of items. They send a bad message by carrying them.

I live in NY and in Chinatown, you can buy shark fin soup anywhere. It's a real shame...

Luiz - thanks for pointing this out!

Thanks for the support everyone, there are now more than 30 product reviews in Amazon (all negative, except for one). Here is a text that is circulating in scuba dive boards and websites:

It seems that Amazon.com is carrying shark fin soup through a third-party vendor, Pacific Rim Gourmet. With all the controversy surrounding shark fins and the horrible practices used to harvest fins, Amazon should be ashamed to be carrying shark fin soup and should rectify the problem immediately by pulling all shark fin products from their catalog.

What you can do:

1. Leave feedback at Amazon's product page for Dragonfly Shark Fin Soup

2. Send e-mail to Pacific Rim Gourmet at customerservice@pacificrim-gourmet.com and write a letter of protest to:

Pacific Rim Gourmet
75-5660 Kopiko Street, Suite C7-210
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

3. Write to Amazon.com at Advantage Customer Service (advantage@amazon.com) and
Investor Relations (ir@amazon.com)

4. Spread the word through your webpage, blog, etc.

5. Boycott Amazon.com until they comply

I think that all of us as divers, photographers, and Ocean lovers should send them an e-mail.

Nice going - that should get their attention! :) ... besides, since it's imported, and contains a "controversial" ingredient for many, I wouldn't really trust the manufacturer, contents or quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom