Marines "thrashed"...why do they Puke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So, JB is bragging that he made twelve Marines puke this morning running up hills in wet boots. He does love his PT.

When we accompanied the Lani Kai Outrigger Canoe Paddlers across the channel from Molakai, they got into our boat and promptly puked.

Why does strenuous exercise make people throw up? I should know, but I have no idea. Electrolyte imblances?

catherine96821:
So, JB is bragging that he made twelve Marines puke this morning running up hills in wet boots. He does love his PT.

When we accompanied the Lani Kai Outrigger Canoe Paddlers across the channel from Molakai, they got into our boat and promptly puked.

Why does strenuous exercise make people throw up? I should know, but I have no idea. Electrolyte imblances?

You've never thrown up after strenuous exercise? You haven't worked hard enough under the right (or wrong) conditions :wink:

Possibly:

extremely vigorous exercise and stress produces shunting of blood to skeletal muscles, fight or flight sympathetic nervous system stimulated.

body doesn't want to shunt blood to digestive system; parasympathetic nervous system stimulation reduced.

Emesis reduces stomach contents and demands on digestive system; inspiration easier producing more energy.

Survival.:coffee:

ahhh.

The blood shunt away from the GI tract makes sense. thank-you.

No, greeni, I don't think I have even come close.

I did eat a box of chocolate donuts right after anesthesia once....

So, you are saying it is yet one more manifestation of "Fight or Flight"?

catherine96821:
ahhh.

The blood shunt away from the GI tract makes sense. thank-you.

No, greeni, I don't think I have even come close.

I did eat a box of chocolate donuts right after anesthesia once....

It's not something to which I would aspire. I've been there and done that but it was not enjoyable.

How many were in the box? Chocolate frosted or cake donuts? I really enjoy raspberry filled chocolate frosted. YUMM.

I would think that any rigorous exercise to the point of vomiting would be bad for the individual. I used to run half marathons and do hours of cardio, but don't remember ever vomiting (except freshman year after a party... but that "exercise" only involved lifting 12 oz "weights" over and over and...).

This reminds me of double days in soccer practice way back in high school, practice wasn't over until we puked.

Not pleasant, but we did get in shape.

usually when i puke, the answer is one word long: Tequila

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom