Is drysuit bagginess a problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Is drysuit bagginess a problem I should be concerned about?

For a new drysuit diver it can be, for an experienced drysuit diver it won't be.

cummings66:
For a new drysuit diver it can be, for an experienced drysuit diver it won't be.

Well, I'm as new as one can get. Is the problem air trapping? Should I consider altering it? The upper body fits well, but around the hips and lower torso it's pretty baggy. Thanks.

Yes, it's trapping of the air or more specifically it's the fact that the air will move to those locations. If it's pretty loose in the legs you'll have a problem if you're not careful. Some divers use Gaiters to solve that, others use ankle weights as a temporary crutch until they get comfortable with it.

If you own the suit already, instead of altering it dive it first in say 20 feet of water and see what it does. I am hoping you either have taken a class or dive with another drysuit diver for your first few dives and know how to recover from a feet first ascent which is a good possibility if the legs are too large. Don't add a lot of air to the suit either.

If you have problems with floaty legs and feet then try gaiters and see if they help, they're cheaper than customizing a suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom