Atlan drysuit - used with a leak, should I bite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluesbro1982

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Guys:

So, whilst surfing around trying to finish building my gear kit, I come across a guy with an atlan drysuit (made by typhoon - UK) which he says has a slight leak "in either the seam tape around the zipper or the tape around the inflator" (His words, not mine) He claims the wrist and neck seals are in good shape, but that the suit hasn't been used in about a year and probably just needs a bit of tlc. Suit is back-zip, no p-valve but has latex seals and is trilam with no patches or other work on it. I'd install a p-valve no matter what if I get it, which means it will be going to a shop anyways...

I'm going over to his place sunday to check out the fit of the suit and condition, and he wants to sell for $400, including some undergarments and extras.

Questions:

1: Assuming it fits, does anyone know a place that would do drysuit repairs in LA, or a place where I can get instructions on how to re-seam the suit? How hard is it to do these repairs and to leak-test a suit? is this a common problem with drysuits that everyone deals with sooner or later?

2: Worst case scenario of replacing the zipper, seam tape and / or the inflator seals, how much of a repair bill am I looking at?

3: Based on past experiences, once a suit starts leaking, is it like a used car that will give you nothing but trouble? Would anyone else bite at this offer having had a past "fixer-upper" suit experience?

4: What other "gotchas" should I be looking for? I've done as much research as i can on this, but if there are any "kick-the-tires" suggestions anyone has, I'd be very grateful.

Keep in mind, I'm just out of college, thus the used equipment. If I can dive dry for a bit more than double what a 7mm would cost, I'm all in for it, even with a couple hundred invested in a repair. however, if this is going to become the ultimate lemon experience every time I dive, no thanks I'll go wet and suffer until I can buy a new DUI or bare or something. I just don't have the cash to blow $400 on a longshot. I'll place the 6 and 8, but none of the horn bets or hardways at 10 for 1...

Any and all comments and opinions welcome, but please don't try to snipe me on the suit, thats just mean...

Why not do a leak test while you are there and determine for your self. I put a tupperware bowl inside the neck,and plastic cups in the arms,and inflate the suit. Spray the suit with a soapy water mixture and see where it leaks. The inflator seal is easily remedied with RTV. Seam tape isn't that expensive,and I use Gamblescuba.com for all my work. If the zipper is leaking,then you need to plan on a faily expensive repair,and this isn't a good deal. What shape are the latex seals in,and do they fit you-that would be another cost. Are the boots in good shape? I seen many great deals on used dry suits where the buyer was satisfied,but conversely there are some nightmares. Personally for $200 more you could get new http://www.divers-supply.com/USIA-AQUA-SPORT-DRY-SUIT-p/usi0007.htm

karstdvr:
Why not do a leak test while you are there and determine for your self. I put a tupperware bowl inside the neck,and plastic cups in the arms,and inflate the suit. Spray the suit with a soapy water mixture and see where it leaks. The inflator seal is easily remedied with RTV. Seam tape isn't that expensive,and I use Gamblescuba.com for all my work. If the zipper is leaking,then you need to plan on a faily expensive repair,and this isn't a good deal. What shape are the latex seals in,and do they fit you-that would be another cost. Are the boots in good shape? I seen many great deals on used dry suits where the buyer was satisfied,but conversely there are some nightmares. Personally for $200 more you could get new http://www.divers-supply.com/USIA-AQUA-SPORT-DRY-SUIT-p/usi0007.htm
I'd stay away from it unless you know exactly what to look at which it sounds like you don't. Also I'd stay with a more locally built suit. Sending one back to the UK for a factory repair could cost a bundle.

Like karstdvr said, look at USIA. They are great suits and only a days drive or a quick flight away from you. Their customer service is very good and they are willing to help.

My team is switching over and going back to them. We can but 3 USIA custom built suits for the price of one DUI.

Gary D.

karstdvr:

Allright, I'm going to at least go over there, and I will be very picky. I am assuming that a busted / leaky zipper is easy to see from the bubbles of soap blowing through and around the zipper itself, rather than from under the seams which would be a pretty straightforward affair.

It might be a mute point anyways if the suit doesn't fit, but correct me if I'm wrong or clueless:

I'm going to take a few tupperware containers and t-shirt strips to seal the seals to them. I will also bring a small air compressor (the tire kind) in case the guy conveniently doesn't have a tank to use. I'll bring 2 squirt bottles full of 1:10 dish soap solution. From my research and the DUI owners / repair guide, the best way to find leaks is to:

1: turn the suit inside out, that way pressure gradient will be towards inside of suit just like it is underwater.
2: stop up arm + neck holes with tupperware + t shirt ties
3: inflate and spray with dish soap solution and look for bubbles, especially around seams, inflator, etc.
4: If I see bubbles, note location and if location == center of zipper or thereabouts, don't buy. If there are any major tears or it looks like any part of the suit is nearing last legs, don't buy... If seals are trashed, factor that into cost of suit. I'll also factor in the cost of some aquaseal + supplies.

Looking at some manuals, I think I can do seam repairs and replace wrist seals et al myself, but theres no way i want to even try to replace a zipper or something.

Thanks for all the help. Any particular places to look for leaks?

If the guy used a bp/w with a crotch strap,check this area closely too,since there will be a lot of rubbing.

karstdvr:
If the guy used a bp/w with a crotch strap,check this area closely too,since there will be a lot of rubbing.

Good suggestion... yeah I will definitely check there. Another reason i'm even considering this deal is because it includes dry gloves + undergarments, and I know I wouldn't be able to find a suit with dry gloves / rings / etc for that price. I'll just cross my fingers as I'm meeting this guy in a few hours.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. It is very much appreciated!

Wow, am I glad i went over there...

The suit fits very well on me, though it requires a touch of the ol' contortionist to get out of, which as i understand is normal.

Blew the suit up, dry gloves are dry, but the seals need replacing. Neck seal looks fine and is chokingly tight on me, so i can cut it down and it should work Ok. might just replace it, too.

Soapy water time, and there was a small cut / leak through the seam tape above the last stitch of the zipper attachment where the zipper cover used to be on the top of the shoulder. Not on the zipper, but it is where the stitching seal is. Little aquaseal + patch will fix that nicely. The suit is actually an SI tech (swedish, from what I can gather, but it looks to use standard parts + seam tape and the zipper is YKK). Found a couple pinhole leaks in the side of the legs but they are uber small. Its also front-zip which is another plus I didn't know about.

All in all, $400 (+~$100 repairs) for a trilam suit with dry gloves, undies, booties, etc. seems like a good deal.

I am gonna be so spoiled... mo2vation + wrinkles dives here I come.

Back
Top Bottom