loaded question about dive trips...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cba191

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i'm taking the ow class starting next week, but am perhaps overly anxious and looking at trips now. i want to go somewhere like bonaire, or roatan, and was wondering...who in town puts together the best packages for a new diver? ps i'm a cheap bum when it comes to hotels, so none of this pampering crap with spas and the like. i just want dive during the day and :eyebrow: have fun:eyebrow: at night.

ben

cba191:
i'm taking the ow class starting next week, but am perhaps overly anxious and looking at trips now. i want to go somewhere like bonaire, or roatan, and was wondering...who in town puts together the best packages for a new diver? ps i'm a cheap bum when it comes to hotels, so none of this pampering crap with spas and the like. i just want dive during the day and :eyebrow: have fun:eyebrow: at night.

ben

Scuba Sciences has a good line up of trips for '07. Bahamas liveaboard, Roatan, Bonaire, Sea of Cortez liveaboard, Fiji, and the regular California trips.

Probably good for new divers as they send divemasters for those that want a little additional attention.

Check out the website: http://www.scubasciences.com/trips.htm

i like the price of the roatan trip. how is it there for a newb diver?

Sorry krcollins :D

The cheapest way is to do it yourself. Otherwise you're paying your percentage of the travel expenses for those:
divemasters for those that want a little additional attention.
Not to mention the diveshop's overhead on the trip. I've always found it cheaper to book trips myself or through an online divetravel agency. I haven't had good luck with either Scuba Sciences Travel or Tierra Mar Travel (El Mar's inhouse). I've even given them a chance to earn my business after I've made firm plans, they've been unable to get within $200 of the price I've negotiated. Either place.

Most of the diveresorts have their own websites as do all the airlines. Some destinations even show up on Travelocity or Expedia, but not the best deal. In addition, it's also sometimes worth it to make a phone call, I was going to book a condo in the Caymans online, but then called their booking office (in Iowa) because I had a question. The agent offered me an upgrade deal - higher up/better unit/ocean view - for the same as I would've booked one with a parking lot view.

All the diveops on Bonaire automatically provide a DM on boat dives. So bringing your own is counterproductive as the locals know the sites better anyway. Nice if you're the DM though...:D

Read the ABC or Bay Islands forums here for ideas on where to stay, how to get there etc. You'll find lots of divers more interested in getting to the diving than having fancy amenities once there. So just what you're looking for.

Roatan will probably wind up being cheaper but there's more to getting there. Try Cocoview's website as a starting point. They're used to dealing with newish divers.

Bonaire can be done through Houston direct on Continental on Saturday now. But you have to leave here Friday night to make the connection.

A clean, newer, less expensive place to stay on Bonaire is Golden Reef Inn. Not on the water - you pay more for that - just a couple blocks away. They put together really inexpensive room/dive/car packages also. I think Liz, the owner will help book your flights if asked. Staying there, you'll want a car.

Some divetravel agencies to look at:

www.aquadreams.com - I deal with Dani there - she's a diver.
www.caradonna.com
www.bonairepros.com

hth,

my biggest problem is that i don't know any divers, so i'll most likely be going solo if i do the planning myself. probably not the best idea.
btw, cocoview looks very cool.

sjspeck:
Sorry krcollins :D

You spent more time on that post than I like to spend planning a vacation. I like to make a call, give them my credit card and just show up. The prices are usually very comparable. To each his own.

Seriously, Scuba Sciences holds pre-trip meetings before every trip so you get a chance to meet the people going on the trip. That helps with finding people you might want to dive and/or hang out with.

sjspeck, the DM's on the international trips don't operate as the typical DM. You're right the locals are best for that. The DM more than earns his/her trip by handling a lot of the pre-trip preparations, making sure the customers are having a good time, handling unexpected things that come up during the trip, and acting as the laison between the group and the captain/crew. With large groups they are busier than you would think.

Look for a PM. We are putting together a Coco View trip in April....

krcollins:
You spent more time on that post than I like to spend planning a vacation. I like to make a call, give them my credit card and just show up.
Me too, but I have a buddy who likes to do that stuff. (He'll probably see this..)
The prices are usually very comparable.
I don't think it's fair to discuss Air & Sea Travel's pricing here so I've sent you a PM. It is however much higher - at least on the Bonaire trip the OP is considering. Maybe there's some hidden benefits to their trip besides:
Scuba Sciences holds pre-trip meetings before every trip so you get a chance to meet the people going on the trip. That helps with finding people you might want to dive and/or hang out with.
That's not worth an awful lot to me. Especially on Bonaire, where just about everybody you meet at the resorts, in the restaurants etc. is a diver. So it's not too hard to find a buddy if necessary. Plus you may not like the people you go with either...:D
sjspeck, the DM's on the international trips don't operate as the typical DM. You're right the locals are best for that.
I know that. Actually having to do what you've described below sounds worse. Maybe they do earn their trip...:D
The DM more than earns his/her trip by handling a lot of the pre-trip preparations, making sure the customers are having a good time, handling unexpected things that come up during the trip, and acting as the laison between the group and the captain/crew. With large groups they are busier than you would think.
But I don't see that as being a lot of work. The local travel people handle the arrangements so it's more if something goes wrong. Realistically what can they do if there's a flight delay - I'm sure anything else is likely communicated to the resort people to deal with. Nice vacation if you can get it. Don't get me wrong, I think the DM's should get something, they don't make much otherwise.

And I certainly don't mean to demean Scuba Sciences in any way, I've had similar experiences with other local dive store affiliated travel agencies also. I actually hope that people looking for a package deal will use them if that's their choice, it helps keep them in business. For me that's a plus, they're my closest LDS...

This just happens to reference their trip since the OP stated he's looking at it. And also stated that he was looking for the best deal possible - which it's not.

Edit: As krcollins so graciously pointed out, the OP was interested in the Roatan trip, not the Bonaire trip that I dissected. But my other observations are still valid.

Yeah I don't like having to pay for the hand holders. I think part of the fun is meeting people from other places anyways. I don't like having to follow someone else's itinerary. Most dive ops will match you up, just plan within your experience & comfort level with the op. Lots of people travel with non-diving partners, not having a buddy is not an issue in most places. Be honest with the op and your potential buddy about your experience and everyone has fun. I'd say any trip booked through a shop is going to be more expensive than what you can find yourself, it's a matter of personal preference whether you like that kindof thing or really flying solo. Me, I like the solo route and seeing where life leads rather than being led around. YMMV

Good luck with your class...

-Garrett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom