Fins, booties, mask, and snorkel, check! What next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sicel1304

Registered
Reaction score
What's up guys!

Alright, so as I stand today, I have purchased a dive bag, scuba pro booties, scuba pro snorkel, a prescription mask, and the Aeris velocity fins. Total cost of all this gear so far? Around $304.

The bad news is, this is where the rest of the gear that I have to buy starts to get just a tad bit expensive. I thought about purchasing my wet suit as my next piece, but a locally owned dive shop that I trust has suggested that I buy my BCD next because the owner claims "I would need a custom fit" for my body. Why he said this, I'm not sure? I'm around 215 lbs, so yeah, I'm a little bit on the hefty side. Could this be the reason why he suggested that?

Since I'm still in the process of college and holding down a job at the same time, money to spend on scuba gear is far and in between. For privacy sake, let's say the name of the owner of the LDS I go to is named "John Doe." John tells me that a good, quality BCD is going to be around $425. We all know that he is honestly trying to point me in the right direction, but also wants a sale. He recommended that I go with the "Zeagle" made products because they are weight integrated, have a lifetime warranty, and are made in the USA. I told him thanks for the info, and left.

If you guys aren't doing anything else right now, I would love your feedback on this situation! I'm going to be doing a lot of research before I even buy a BCD, and everyone's opinion helps. Thanks for your time,

Les

You can get deals on some decent shape used gear, too. If your LDS is an active shop, classes being taught, it should have gear that tends to get cycled regularly (replaced). A good shop is willing and able to work with divers on things like that -- let them know that you're tight on $, but understand/appreciate the benefits of owning, ask if they are able to sell any of their class gear.

215 lb isn't all that large, unless you're also under 5'.

Just a thought...

Did you shop around for the gear you just bought?

We took my youngest son shopping at our favorite LDS earlier this week. He got nearly $300 in gift cards to the LDS.

He bought Aqualung fins, a nice Mares mask, Akona 5mm gloves, a Filefish snorkle, Deep See hard sole boots and a BodyGlove mask strap. He got the bundle for $180, AFTER tax! Everything was on sale and the LDS gave him an extra 10% off because of all the business we’ve done with them and the referrals we’ve made.

For a Junior in highschool just starting out, these are plenty good enough and should see him well on his way.

As far a Zeagle…they’re great BCDs. There are other BCDs out there that will cost a bit less, bnut not by much. As far as the $425 price for a Zeagle product, I’ve not seen any BCD set up from them that was that inexpensive.

As far as the weight crack…keep your nasty comments to yourself! :D At 6’2" and 250#, I have no problem with my Genesis Recon or the Aqualung model I had as my first BCD (can’t remember model).

Sicel1304:
What's up guys!

Alright, so as I stand today, I have purchased a dive bag, scuba pro booties, scuba pro snorkel, a prescription mask, and the Aeris velocity fins. Total cost of all this gear so far? Around $304.

The bad news is, this is where the rest of the gear that I have to buy starts to get just a tad bit expensive. I thought about purchasing my wet suit as my next piece, but a locally owned dive shop that I trust has suggested that I buy my BCD next because the owner claims "I would need a custom fit" for my body. Why he said this, I'm not sure? I'm around 215 lbs, so yeah, I'm a little bit on the hefty side. Could this be the reason why he suggested that?

Since I'm still in the process of college and holding down a job at the same time, money to spend on scuba gear is far and in between. For privacy sake, let's say the name of the owner of the LDS I go to is named "John Doe." John tells me that a good, quality BCD is going to be around $425. We all know that he is honestly trying to point me in the right direction, but also wants a sale. He recommended that I go with the "Zeagle" made products because they are weight integrated, have a lifetime warranty, and are made in the USA. I told him thanks for the info, and left.

If you guys aren't doing anything else right now, I would love your feedback on this situation! I'm going to be doing a lot of research before I even buy a BCD, and everyone's opinion helps. Thanks for your time,

Les

Hmmm,
Not knowing you height I'm not sure if you'd need a custom suit or not.
I'm 5'10" appox 220 lbs and haven't needed a custom wetsuit yet.
'cept a custom drysuit.
If your of average height I'd press him for an explaintion, Your body shape may be "different" than average i.e. longer arms/legs that type of thing.
BTW I dive a SeaQuest 7mm one piece.
As far as a bc goes do yourself a favor and do your homework, look online for bcs'
ask your diving friends what they use, what they like don't like etc.
$300.00~$400.00 is about average.

I think a wetsuit is a great next purchase. You'll be comfortable diving while you look around, and hopefully have the opportunity to try, different types of BCs.

Zeagle makes a great product....I have both a Zeagle BC and reg set up, but as far as BC's go, FIT IS EVERYTHING IMO. Try on as many different brands and types as you can, hopefully in the water, then make your decision. You definitely don't have to be in a hurry.

The best selling point on ANY gear is to compare the short-term rental costs to purchase costs. Most divers will see that if you rent gear 10 times, you could have just paid for the gear outright.

If budget is an issue, shop around (a lot) to see if you can find a package deal within your budgetary means that fits your diving needs. If not, you can always locate quality used gear.

I'd go for the BC next. Wet suits come and go... no one is ever correct... too warm, too cold, etc. A BC is a life support device. You should get one and dive it. Be comfortable ditching and donning it blind. Be able to locate the inflator, dump valves, etc without looking. Ditto for integrated weights if any. Get a small knife mounted on a strap (I like mine on the left side)... find a good spot to clip off the octo and gauges. Then dive the same configuration for a year or two, until the hands can work it without the eyes or the brain. My 2 cents. (This is why the DIR guys stress compliance with a standard.)

Thanks for your replies guys...

Considering some of my past experiences with previous LDS's, I'm hesitant about going back to them to seek their advice/opinion about what piece of gear I should purchase next. I say this because as soon as I've stepped in, they are ready to sell me something that will get them their big commission bonus instead of helping me out with what I'm really interested in. What do you guys think?

Les

Sicel1304:
I have purchased a dive bag, scuba pro booties, scuba pro snorkel, a prescription mask, and the Aeris velocity fins. Total cost of all this gear so far? Around $304.

That is an excellent price for all that you received. A prescription mask alone can cost upwards of $200. I think $425 for a quality BCD ( especially if it is a Zeagle), is in the ballpark. Inexpensive BCD's can run between $275 ( integrated weight pockets) and $350. If you are that concerned about shopping your LDS then check out some online retailers. Do your homework and then shop till you drop. Have fun!

Sicel1304:
What do you guys think?

Well 215LB is well within the range of off the rack suits by I don't know your proportions. If you are something of a body builder that could be it. Some folks are also long or short in the torso for instance. Fit is everyting so driving to another dive shop to see if you are an easy fit is a good start. If you are not an off the rack fellow then a custo suit is a great solution. The cost is usually just about on par with a high end off the rack suit. For many the wetsuit is a god nect choice. That means you will always have a good fit and there are hygiene issues that some folks are more sensitive to than others.

The BC is a good runner-up. It is the center of the buoyancy control skills you are trying to master. At your stage in diving any well serviced rental regulator will serve you fine. A Zeagle is as good as anything from what I hear. Weight integration is popular but not an essential feature. $425 for a well featured BC purchasewd locally isounds like a fair price.

Lot's of good reading awaits you in the gear forums.

pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom