Time For A New Wet Suit, Bare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dawhale

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My old wet suit has seen better days. Time for a new 7mm. In searching this forum the Bare Arctic seams to be popular. Looking for those who may have bought in 2006. How are the seams holding up? I am a bug hunter; How are the knee pads holding up? Is the suit flexible. I am getting to be an old fart (58) and want a good warm suit that does not need a shoe horn to get into. I am being told the 7/6 Velocity is more flexible and only slightly less warm. Looked at the Supra but do not like the zipper on the farmer john. The jacket zipper is in the same area as the john.

I have the 7mm Arctic, and have made a number of dives in it this year. I have used the knee pads pretty regularly on boats and shore while going through DM training assisting customers, and have been happy with the performance of the suit. I have picked up a small hole near the knee pad (not on the knee pad), but nothing major.

As you may have seen from other posts, the Artic is a little tight to get into. I have a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch that is extremely comfortable, but it is so stretchy that it is not warm at all. I found that Bare has more size options that seem to fit me better. I am 6', 175#, and use the ML size.

The Bare suit also has internal wrist and calf seals that limit water exchange in the suit. I have recently layered a Bare 3mm Thermalskin Vest (with attached 7mm hood) under the Arctic, and did a 55 degree dive last weekend without issue.

Dive Safe.

Have a Bare Velocity 7/6 that has seen about 50 dives (I don't do the real cold stuff with it anymore) and it is a nice suit, but the seams are showing a bit of wear. Other than that I recommend it, the seals at the wrists and ankles work really well also.

-Nick

I have a 5/4 Bare and really like it. You may want to talk to divetank.com, they have the 7/6 Velocity for ~$190 and recommended that to me instead of the Artic, because of the flexibility compared to the Artic.

dawhale:
My old wet suit has seen better days. Time for a new 7mm. In searching this forum the Bare Arctic seams to be popular. Looking for those who may have bought in 2006. How are the seams holding up? I am a bug hunter; How are the knee pads holding up? Is the suit flexible. I am getting to be an old fart (58) and want a good warm suit that does not need a shoe horn to get into. I am being told the 7/6 Velocity is more flexible and only slightly less warm. Looked at the Supra but do not like the zipper on the farmer john. The jacket zipper is in the same area as the john.

I have a 2005 Arctic and a 2004 5/4 Velocity.

Seams on both have help up witout incident. Each suit has been in the water about 150 times.

My experieince and that of others has been that Bare does not always do a good job of locking down the ends of the stitching. Going over the suit with a dab of wetsuit cement or seam grip at each stitch end puts an end to that issue.

If you nail the fit then getting into the Arctic is not a chore at all. I don't even notice mine in the water.

The Velocity series uses a combination of materials to give you some extra range of motion where you need it. It has the same compliment of seals so you are really just giving up 1mm here and there. If you are not warm enough one of the vest options will turn it up a notch.

If your activities include knee time then I'd plan to add real pads or just get another suit. The stencied on rubbery stuff isn't all that rugged. My suits are doing fine but I'm not regularly doing knee time.

Pete

It was my impression that the new Velocity is, besides more thin in places, also more stretchy than the Arctic. Doesn't more stretchy often mean that is compresses more at depth?

Thanks Pete for the idea of gluing down the stiches. You're a genius!

SteveFass:
Doesn't more stretchy often mean that is compresses more at depth?
Yes but since it's in limited regions it's not as much of an issue as in something like Hyperstretch. The panel in the lower lumbar is particularly compliant.

The OP didn't mention his intended temperature range but if thermal protection is a priority I'd go with the Arctic, then layer a hooded vest to close off the back zipper and neck opening. Done right it's a perfectly viable configuration down to 50F for many divers.

SteveFass:
Thanks Pete for the idea of gluing down the stiches. You're a genius!
I don't know if I'd go that far but you're welcome. When my wife got her Atlan custom they had dome the same thing with exceptional detail.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom