Help with Self-Donning Zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheSmoothDome

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just got my DUI cf200, trimmed the seals and tried to get it on by myself. I finally had to call the wife over to help me get the zipper moving from the high point of the shoulder. For the life of me, I couldn't get it moving. Any tips from those in the know?

Oh, the zip seals on the wrists are an awesome idea. Around the neck, I'll have to dive it a few times to reach a conclusion. With just a tee shirt on I definately noticed the ring around my neck, but with my DS undies I didn't notice it at all until it was time to remove the suit. Definately noticed the ring then.

If it is a new zipper, it will take a while to get broken in, have you waxed it? A few waxings and some use will make it less stiff, I'm going through the same thing wiht my DC zipper right now.

I'll be honest. On my White's Catalyst the high point of the zipper on starts behind my right shoulder. So...... unless you're double jointed in the shoulder, there's no way that's happening:D . There may be a claim of self donning, but then does it really hurt to have your buddy to look the suit over & make sure all is kosher? I help people with their back zip suits all the time, so I'm not shy about asking for a start.:blinking:

I have the same problem with my Bare. I really hope it does get easier since it can be a pain. I tend to roll the zipper to the front so that you are actually pulling down instead of up and over. You can't just zip it in one shot but this helps get it over the shoulder.

Tstorm, you need another avatar babe! Payton was ok but this guy if not sure about.

Keep the zipper well lubed and it will stay easy to move. Try Silicon grease or PUMP, not the aerosol type on it plus the wax.

When the zipper is over the back of your shoulder, just grab a handful of suit as high as you can with your right hand then grab the zipper with your left.

Pull up and out when you’re zipping it up. This will help keep your undergarments out of the zipper.

DO NOT FORCE the zipper. If it doesn’t move smoothly something is not quite right. Also get into the habit of running your thumb and fore finger over each zipper half prior to zipping it up. This will help get rid of anything the may be in the way like threads from your under ware etc.

Gary D.

I also have a White's Catalyst and find that if I start the zipper just a little bit before putting it on it zips with no problem. Getting it off is a whole other problem - the last three inches is just about impossible without help.

Fear not, they do get better as they break in. I tied off a loop of boot lace to the tab on my zipper. It just requires a little flip of the shoulder and I can reach it easily. My suit, a Dive Concepts Z-flex, has another zipper that protects the actual dry suit zipper. I tuck that extra loop under that zipper so it doesn't catch anything underwater and give me a nasty surprise. To open, I can get it with in two inches of all the way open and then I just sort of push it the rest of the way with my finger. Like I said, it will get better as it breaks in. Just keep it properly waxed and you'll be fine.

Jim

crpntr133:
I have the same problem with my Bare. I really hope it does get easier since it can be a pain. I tend to roll the zipper to the front so that you are actually pulling down instead of up and over. You can't just zip it in one shot but this helps get it over the shoulder.

Tstorm, you need another avatar babe! Payton was ok but this guy if not sure about.
Me too, self donning my a.. Well maybe it will break in a bit , for now , i need help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom