Setting up a new rig ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obriencj

New
Reaction score
Hello!

Finally starting to get into diving more seriously so I'm moving into the world of ownership versus rental. I was hoping to setup a rig that will be of good quality and last a while.

I know that these threads are usually a "it depends - if it works for you, great," however I would like to solicit pre-buy advise from those with more experience to hopefully help ensure I'm not getting myself into anything that could prove to be a large disappointment.

So here it is ... this is what I'm looking at getting. :)

- Regulator - Apeks ATX-200, w/ ATX-40 Octo
- BC - DSS Single BP/W w/ Hog Harness
- Computer/Bottom Timer - Suunto D6
- Dry Suit - DUI TLS350
- Light - Green Force FIII w/ 21W HID (perhaps Salvo 21W HID?) Strongly considering 10W as well.

Anyway - any comments on the quality or personal experiences with this equipment is highly appreciated! I'm trying to keep my choices DIR-compliant (and I'm still a DIR novice, so some of my selections are probably incorrect) because once I gain more experience and training I would like to move into more advanced diving, such as cave (and yes, I know I'll eventually need doubles for cave, but I can hold off on that for now).

I'm certainly looking forward to making my final decisions and getting the purchases in. 2007 should prove to be a year of fun diving - too bad I'm a Marylander, wish there was a bit more locally!

Thanks! Charles

the Apeks regs are good ... you could probably save money by going with two 40's and two DS4 first stages

i have the TLS350 and love it. it's a wonderful suit. easy to dive, easy to dry, easy to store ...

everyone's going with 21w lights ... i find a 10w to be more than enough for cave diving ... so ... another chance to save money there

just some suggestions ... the stuff you list is all good

best of luck

I would agree with Andy on the regs, I wouldn't bother with the 200s.

My preference is TX50s on DS4s

As for the computer/timer, why a D6? If you want purely a timer, get an Uwatec. If you want the downloading abilities and the ability to switch to computer mode, why not a Vyper and save another $300 or so.

Dom

dlegros:
I would agree with Andy on the regs, I wouldn't bother with the 200s.

My preference is TX50s on DS4s

As for the computer/timer, why a D6? If you want purely a timer, get an Uwatec. If you want the downloading abilities and the ability to switch to computer mode, why not a Vyper and save another $300 or so.

Dom

I have no particular affinity towards the D6 ... it's just what I've had the opportunity to use in the past and enjoyed it. I'll check out both the Uwatec and Vyper. Thanks!

I have many of the items you list and I am happy with everything. I did find that the D-6 was a bit lost on a drysuit and use a Vytec for all my drysuit diving. THe D-6 is great for warm water diving and I wear it like a watch the rest of the time. I have the xtx 200 and like it a lot.

Good luck

Forgot to add that the Greenforce stuff is excellent. Very high quality.

The only gear on your list that I have is the DSS BP/W with Hog Harness. I absolutely love it. A wonderful piece of gear. Very high quality. I've never questioned my decision to go with it. Two thumbs up!

Wow, you must have some money to burn because with out any kind of dive profile or what type of diving you do rite now or where ,with the list you just gave, you have approx $3800.00 set up and have only dove on rental gear. so here is my req http://www.diveriteexpress.com/rebreathers/optima.shtml .Just kidding .start basic ,good reg is the one that breathes well .apex is great stuff, have you ever dove with bp/wing combo if not what made you decide that you should. next is there ice in the water where you dive, why a dry suit and you have champagne taste in lights

also you should buy mask and fins, mask( http://www.divecommercial.com/news.html) this is a kirby morgan 77 its pretty good stuff here are some fins (http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Products/tandelta_product.htm) again i am kidding. seriously dont spend and waste your money on what other people think, go to a dive shop and try some of it out ask questions about warrenties recalls and price, go to web sites and watch what dive master and instructors dive with these guys dive for a living

the stuff looks pretty good. remember it's better to get a singles wing for singles and a doubles one for doubles.

my only suggestion is to watch here or on ebay or decostop.com or your buddies who are further along the path than you are & snag bargains! works for me, saves lots of jack. only things i've bought new for retail & still use are my regs, mask, wetsuit, backup lights, and harness. so 2 plates, one harness, 2 wings, can light, nitek plus, backup computer, set of doubles, fins, xshorts, various miscellaneous cave crapola, all for cheap! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom