pls comment on scuba setup for noob :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justin74

New
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to scuba and would like some comments on the setup below. My budget is ~$US 1000.

Regulator: Poseidon Jetstream/Odin - I've read that its more difficult/expensive to service but like the idea of the side exhaust and no bubbles interrupting view.
Octopus: Aeris A1
Computer/Guages: Aeris XR-1 with compass
BCD: Aeris Atmos XT

One question I have concerns integrated bcd inflators & occys (such as the Aeris Air Link). These would seem to be a space saving solution but would also limit the length of occy hose (buddy would have to be closer to use it) and not allow me to travel without the bcd easily.

cheers,
Justin

justin i second franks comment....even if you are not diving nitrox now, you will...scubatoys.com has a great working relationship with this forum and you will get a sweet discount on your gear. Im taking to them now about a Mares Dragon / Atomic reg purchase and will be saving literally hundreds..I bought my Atmos 2 wrist comp from them and it arrived last week..! yay!!

Justin: I agree that a nitrox ready computer is the way to go.

I'm curious about the choice of regulator too. I've never looked at poseidons to closely, but was under the impression that they are fairly expensive. There are plenty of good regulators that won't break the bank and will give you great performance. :)

As well, I would not go with an integrated inflator / octo. I'd prefer a buddy who doesn't have one...

YMMV

If you are interested in a side exhaust reg, consider an Oceanic Omega if you can find one. I've owned Jetstreams and Oceanics. I find the Oceanic to be a little smoother delivery than the Jetstream, and it uses standard hoses, and is WAYYY less money to repair. The repair cost was the reason mine was sold and replaced.

You may want to take a serious look at the Oceanic Omega II side exhaust 2nd stage, just as Zimmer mentioned. They are used by professionals, are very reliable, and are easy and inexpensive to service. I use them myself. I would also suggest a simple Backplate/Wing/Hog harness setup so you won't need to use as much lead weight, and so you'll be better streamlined, balanced, and more comfortable.

The octo/inflator combinations are OK for recreational use if you and your buddy train with them and keep them serviced. Some people on this board may flame you for using them, but I use the Air2 when I'm not teaching, practice with it often, service it, and have never had any problems.

I would also vote for a Nitrox computer from the very start because you will need one sooner than you may think. Aeris and Oceanic make great and affordable computers.

Buy the best you can afford, and stay away from brands that are known to be questionable. Scuba gear can outlast you if you buy high quality and take care of it.

Hope this helps.

I had a side exhaust on my Dacor Viper Metal. All the exhaust hit my left ear and bugged me. No I have a Zeagle ZX second stage and love it. I know the zeagle busts your budget. I am saying that side exhaust ws not that great for me.

I would also look at a BP/W with a single tank wing. It will save you from buying another BC ever again.

I agreed with u Jimmer Oceanic Omega are great too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom