diving system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's a page full of systems, which one did you want comments on?

But, don't answer that. Go to www.scubatoys.com and find something there, then ask. 10% discount to scubaboard members, and I'm told that the guys there are some of the most helpful people in the world. Personally, I cannot wait until I have enough money to do business with them!

The Scuba Toys package would be my choice. If you go for a package deal, get one without a suit. Buy that as a separate item. Get a thickness that is best for your locale, and try on every one you can.

If you could get 10% off the Scuba Toys kit, you would be off to a good start.

Happy diving!

jaybombs25:
i was leaning more towards mares because thats what i was trained on and its also a good brand

Since your in the process of looking into gear. Do not rush into it because it is cheap price. Here are a few things to consider before you buy Dive gear.

The type of diving your doing. ( salt water, cold water, fresh water etc...) How often will you be diving. How far will you go in your advanced dive training etc...

All this is to consider before buying gear at a chaep price to only upgrade to better gear for the type of diving you may be doing. Rent before you buy. Try different gear. If you have buddies whom dive different BC's try them see if it fits and works for you.

The most questions I get from beginner divers is the type of reg to buy. Since this is your life support under water it has to be the best. In my opinion.

The best is a balanced Reg, balanced first stage and second stage. It has to breathe easy at the surface and at depth without variations. Plus it should be environmentaly sealed.

Next is a comfortable, fitted BC. There are a few good BC'S out there with weight intigerated and also back inflated.

But I would consider a Back plate and wing. The reason is simple. FIT.
The BP/W once set up for your body fits you like a glove and does not move around nor ride up or float around. It is snug to your body and moves as you move. I put several new divers in a back plate and wing set up with a single tank. After a few adjustments, a few tips, there trim was bang on. And a BP/wing grows with you as you evolve in your diving. You only change the starps or if you go doubles just the bladder which you can get use for around 200-350$.

Getting adjusted for a BP/Wing is simple as getting a suit taylored. Where as a standard BC jack you have to snug everything all the time and it still rides and moves around when you dive or turn to look at something. Some may disagree but I challenge them to try a BP/Wing to see the difference.

The rest of the gear is basically fit and comfort. Make sure it fits before you buy. And if you can try it before buying it.
Ask around, go to a local dive shop and try gear on. Strap on a tank see how it hangs with the BC etc...it may sound stupid but that is what I do with new divers wanting new gear. Mak them try on stuff.

hope this helps

Hey Jay,

This diver from Canada brings up a good point. What you need depends upon where you dive. Canada is like the other side of the globe from me. That pckage looked pretty good as it is very similar to what I use around here, and my daughter too. I dove in the 1970's and 80's and hung it up for the 90's when the kids were small. Got back into it about two years ago, with gear like that package. We don't go below 150 feet, and there is no real cold water. I have been having a blast with that equipment, and after about 100 dives on it, it has been fun and safe. I am particularly pleased with the basic Aeris / Oceanic regulator. I bought one for my kid, too.

Anyhow, if you have some local dive pals who are not salesmen, maybe they can give you advice that suits your area. Just thought I'd let you know what works for us.

Happy diving!

Well Stu..maybe you should get out more...:wink:...

Diving cold waters demands quality gear if you dive year round in cold and freezing cold water it is a must to have the best. PLUS SEASONALLY SERVICING AND MAINTAIN GEAR IS ALSO KEY TO YOUR EXPENSIVE GEAR TO LAST FOR A LONG TIME.

REGARDLESS. What ever you have if it is well maintained...will last for as long as you dive.

Safe dives

Stephen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom