FreshAir snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex777

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone enough experience with the FreshAir snorkel to post a review of it? Its design and the test results, posted at http://www.aerospoke.com/snorkel/test_results.html , seem appealing to me but I have never set eyes on one.

From the web site:

"A 'Fresh Air' snorkel enables you to breathe the same quality air that you breathe when you are not snorkeling. We have designed a snorkel that enables you to breathe in only fresh air in one chamber and exhale stale air out another. Up to now snorkels have just been a tube that sticks out of the water enabling you to breathe while your head is submerged admiring the shells, fish, coral, or whatever. Little or no thought has been given to the quality of the air your breathing. In a typical single tube snorkel, when you inhale, your body absorbs the oxygen and emits carbon dioxide which you exhale into the tube. This tube full of carbon dioxide is the first 'air' you inhale in your next breath. Only when you have inhaled the full tube of this do you begin to inhale fresh air. Our tests have shown that you are only getting about 80% of the oxygen that you get without breathing through the snorkel. This is about the oxygen level at an altitude of 7000'. The Air-Tech 'Fresh Air' snorkel gives you almost 100% fresh air. The only stale air is the little bit contained in the mouth piece. "

The 80% of oxygen through the standard snorkel is EXACTLY why I would prefer the standard snorkel. Do a net search on hypoxic training or altitude training and you will likely find countless benefits from using that standard snorkel. Functioning with a lowered level of O2 is an important concept in apnea training. Do a search and see what you find.

Hemoglobin's binding properties to O2 render that difference basically meaningless to a normal individual.

Can't blast clear it , kinda a shame, as well as the breathing resistance is going to raised with the tube half the normal width.

Why would you want to blast clear a snorkel anyway? A simple displacement clear is all that's needed.

SparticleBrane:
Why would you want to blast clear a snorkel anyway? A simple displacement clear is all that's needed.

Really? So when a wave splashes water into the snorkel what do you do? Another dive to clear the snorkel?

what if you took it out of your mouth to talk?

Do you really snorkel dive in the ocean?

I don't use a snorkel in the ocean. :wink:

ah well for thos eof us that do its not quite practicle to not be able to blast clear if you sruface in ruff water.

I don't think this concept will work well, for two reasons:

1. The duel chamber will increase air flow resistance.
2. The one chamber probably cannot be cleared by regular methods (even displacement). While I have not tried the snorkel, with displacement you put the tube down below the level of the mouthpiece, and blow gently. But with a non-return valve keeping the water from being displaced, I don't know how it will come out. I think that the people who envisioned this snorkel thought everyone spit it out and breathed normally after a dive, then put it back into their mouth for surface snorkeling, or dive preparation.

An easier way to decrease the amount of air trapped in the snorkel is simply to cut off the last four or so inches (depending upon the snorkel).

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom