Advice on equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm about to purchase some equipment and could use some advice on the rig. Since most divers have a slight equipment fetish :D advice will probably vary... but more opinions more knowledge of course so go ahead and input!

A bit of background on me... started diving when 14 in '90... did it for 5 years... then stopped for a variety of reasons (uni, girls, drinkingfriends etc)

Started again last september with pool practice etc and will probably start when the worst of the cold has faded in march.

I tried to recuperate some equipment that I had in the early 90s (and part of it were pass alongs from diving relatives)... but most of it has faded away in a very wet basement...

Still have my old:
Diving knife which seems a bit large now compared to the ones on offer at the LDS
A nice Scubapro MK2 1st stage reg with an old metal 2nd stage (don't remember the type... predecessor of the R190 I think).
Old Scubapro wrist compass...

Ok down to the good bits... shopping:

Most of the diving will be coldwater so the equipment is based on that

• Suit... will fit in LDS, brand is not important fit is... Double 7mm anybody has some good suggestions?
  • Regulators (won't take octopus... most tanks have double valves where I dive so I'll need 2) Scubapro MK16 or MK17 with G250 or S550 as 2nd stage.
  • BCD: Not sure if it will be a BP/Wing... in my club only 2 people dive with this ... most dive normal BCD. Both Scubapro Masterjacket and Knighthawk were recommended but will also depend on fit.
  • Computer: Will probably use my watch and a depthmeter and dive tables at first... however many at the club recommend getting a computer quite soon. Am thinking about a Suunto Vyper (or Vyper 2)
Any suggestions are of course appreciated!

New gear is always gooder....

Fit for a wetsuit is a MUST! Not sure but Bare hypestretch Artic full suit and farmer john combo, fits great, good quality for the price. A higher end suit 7mm one peice, I would try Henderson Gold Core. I dive that suit in cold water and it fits nice and its very warm. But I also dive a drysuit..always warm..:wink:

Regs, depends on your type of diving. But go for a balanced first stage a low profile second. Environmentally sealed if your diving cold waters. But depends where and what type of diving your going to be doing. Plus your budget.

BC. If you want a good fit The Knight hawk is nice also the Zeagle Ranger. BUT if you want GREAT fit and customability. I would go for a back plate and wing. You can adapt it easily to single tank diving or down the road doubles.

Computer. Sunnto is great, also look at Aladin Nitrox, Oceanic also have great computers. There are many, but also depends on your needs.

But hold off on the computer. Learning dive planning and gas management plus tables keeps you sharp. Computer can wait. get some dives under your belt before hand.

Befor anything go to a LDS and try things on. Tell them what your looking for and what type of diving your planning on doing. Ask your buddies to try there gear to see if it is right for you. Ask you two buddies whom have back plates and see if you can try it out.

Safe dives

beester1976:
Suit... will fit in LDS, brand is not important fit is... Double 7mm anybody has some good suggestions?

Sorry, can't help on this as we don't dive on those in our part of the world. But something from my understanding is that you might feel like a robot diving in a double 7mm suit.

beester1976:
Regulators (won't take octopus... most tanks have double valves where I dive so I'll need 2) Scubapro MK16 or MK17 with G250 or S550 as 2nd stage.

For cold water, MK17 will be the choice since it is sealed. I will probably go with the G250 for second.

beester1976:
BCD: Not sure if it will be a BP/Wing... in my club only 2 people dive with this ... most dive normal BCD. Both Scubapro Masterjacket and Knighthawk were recommended but will also depend on fit.

For me, I will certainly recommend a BP+Wing setup. But it would be best if you can try it out first before making up your mind. The good thing is you have access to them. Borrow them if you can and check it out for yourself.

beester1976:
Computer: Will probably use my watch and a depthmeter and dive tables at first... however many at the club recommend getting a computer quite soon. Am thinking about a Suunto Vyper (or Vyper 2)

Suunto is a brand with good reputation so their computers will certainly be choices. Another brand you might want to look into would be UWATEC. I am currently using the Aladin Tec 2G and am happy with it.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom