Latex vs Neoprene seals

What kind of wrist seals are on your drysuit?

• Latex

Votes: 52 75.4%
  • Neoprene

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Dry Gloves

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got neoprene... because I was too afraid I might poke a hole in latex with my nails :rofl3:

I have a more heavy duty latex, but you still must be careful with them. It's a trade off the latex is less likely to leak, but will tear easier & are a bit harder to adjust. The neoprene is more durable & easier to repair &adjust, but tends to leak more readily. The one thing my dry suit has that is nice, is it has trilam sleeves that lay over the latex seals protecting them, but the downside is that it is doubtful that I could put the ring style seals/ gloves on my suit.

I prefer neoprene wrist and neck seals – I find them warmer, much more comfortable and I have never had a problem with them leaking. Latex to me is too cold, and too uncomfortable.

That said, my new drysuit has latex seals which are reasonably comfortable, but I am getting them all swapped over to neoprene ASAP.

Mark

Neoprean around the neck...warmer and easier to get out/in...laytex for the wrists, makes it easier to install dryglove rings...

Stephen

Latex all the Way never had one rip or leak.... Nock on wood

Latex all the way for me.

Ive seen SO many people struggle like hell to get in and even worse out of neoprene. Ive seen people soaked because they cant fold their neck seal down properly with cold numb hands with neoprene.

My ideal suit would ne compressed neoprene but latex seals.

At work it's Latex all the way. Fast easy repairs, dry glove compatable and dry. My personal suit has Latex wrist seals and a Neoprene neck. If the neck wears out I'll put a Latex replacement on it but that may never happen because I rarely use the thing. The original wrist seals were Neoprene and it didn't take me long to change those out for Latex.

Latex, ummmmmm good. Mucho mor betta seel. :D

Gary D.

Latex on all. I do agree with the warmth of neo but don't know about the durability. I have a semi dry and have repaired the neo "seals" on it several times.
Also one thing that can make a difference is if you are going with a self donning suit, front zipper. I don't see myself getting out of a neo seal with my front zipper. Now my semi is a back entry and has the neo it seems to be ok.

T-storm, you should be able to put rings on your seals. Mine came with them as a freebie.

Mine came with Latex. A buddy of mine just got his switched back to latex bacause he hated the neoprene seals.

Are you looking to use Dry gloves?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom