Wetsuit too tight if... ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n8Delta

Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all... my LDS just had a killer deal on a 7mm Type-J wetsuit, so I decided to buy it for some Nor Cal diving. They had one size left, so I tried it on in the shop, and it was definitely form fitting, but didn't feel tooooo restrictive. The guy selling me it said it looked like a great fit. A couple things I'm worried about, but I'm not used to wetsuits either. Things i can do with little to no discomfort:

Take a deep breath: I don't feel like I'm wearing a t-shirt, but I can breathe... I do think that maybe if I was very exhausted it might be harder? Should I not notice a deep breath feeling tight... or just be able to make the breath without discomfort?

Touch my toes standing up

Touch my shoulders left to right.

Stick my arms straight out.

However, when I just rest my arms to the side, they are sort of springy, and push out a few inches from where they would normally lay. If it's tight anywhere, it's like my shoulders, armpits and chest. The veins on my hand get a little bulgy, but moving the seal up a little helped.

I can't say it's like comfortable per se, but clearly wearing 7mm of neoprene is not going to be completley comfortable, especially above water.

Thoughts, ideas? Any other tests I should try?

Nate

Great name for a game thread!! Your wetsuit might be too tight if....

even the sharks blush as you swim overhead..!! yeah!!

sounds to me like like your wetsuit fits the way its supposed to be. keep in mind they tend to stretch a little when they are wet, and stretch a little more once youve broken them in so you want it to be somewhat snug when your wearing it dry.

If a wetsuit restricts your chest then breathing while under stress will be more difficult - just when you don't want that to happen. Better to spend a few more bucks and get one that feels right.

If your head, hands, and feet look like tomatoes growing on a rubbery vine, then I'd say it's too tight...

Otherwise, like others have said it sounds like it fits as it should when brand new and dry. 7mm of neoprene will feel different than 3mm, and obviously different than no neoprene. The springyness in your arms is normal.

What's the thickest wetsuit you've warn previously?

Wolfie2012:
If your head, hands, and feet look like tomatoes growing on a rubbery vine, then I'd say it's too tight...

Otherwise, like others have said it sounds like it fits as it should when brand new and dry. 7mm of neoprene will feel different than 3mm, and obviously different than no neoprene. The springyness in your arms is normal.

What's the thickest wetsuit you've warn previously?

I have a 3/5 which is way more comfortable... Which is I guess what you're saying... I've also rented the 7mm farmer johns. The farmer john I don't remember feeling as tight, but I also don't keep the jacket on very long. I put it on, and jump in the water. I'm gonna try on the suit one more time today, and figure it out. I'm torn because it's the last Oneill 7000x j they had. It's actually a MT --- when I was looking at size charts at the shop, it looked fairly close, but then I realized when I got home that it was an Aqualung size chart I was looking at. When I looked up the Oneill size chart, it looks way off. I think I'm actually more like a L or LS. Although it's weird, I'm 5'9" and the MT is for 6'1 - 6'3 ... yet, it doesn't seem long when on. Basically I'm right at the edge of the M i think. I could loose 5 pounds though.

I think I might just try some more on.

From your descriptions, the fit seems to be about right, unless it restricts your ability to breathe. It should feel a little less tight when you get wet. If you're still in doubt, wear it without scuba gear in the cold water and check on your ability to move your limbs, breathe and comfort level. Wetsuits can't be too loose-fitting (or else you'll be very cold in NorCal waters) they are meant to restrict the amount of water that comes in contact with your body.
Dive safely.

I wear a 7mm wetsuit in SoCal and it fits about like you describe. In my opinion, this is good. I have trouble touching my toes dry although I can reach my shoulders and put my arms straight out. It's a bit tough to get on but in the water it feels much better and I get very little water exchange. In the water, breathing doesn't feel tight at all. If it were any looser I think it would be too cold.

I have a 3mm suit from the same company in the same size that doesn't feel nearly as restrictive. I think what you are experiencing is just the nature of a thick wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom