Feb. 3rd - Boat dive to Lobos Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalAngel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok... decided better to start fresh with a new thread, rather than bump up an old one... with 4 pages of stuff to wade through...

So here goes...

The Cypress Sea (Frank -owner) gave us some pretty awesome pricing. They are setting this up as an Open boat for us. If only 6 - 8 people sign up, we stay in the bay. More than 9 people, it becomes a south carmel intermediate to advanced dive sites trip. The trip is listed as costing $95. It will include 3 dives, all AIR fills, and real food, water, and hot beverages between each dive. Nitrox IS avaiable for additional charges...that you pay on the boat at the end of the dive day.

Here's the cool part: If we have 6 or more people say they are part of the ScubaBoard group, the price will only be $85. GO.... :sblogo:

Cypress Sea CAN hold up to 20 divers...but we only need 9 divers to be a go. So, this is the plan.

If conditions are bad, obviously we won't make it to Lobos Rocks. However, Frank says if the divers are COLD WATER experienced (and I don't mean just got the advanced cert) and currents are running, but the divers on board are up to the challenge, we can do live boat drops. I've done about 20 live boat drops at the Oil Rigs (E's off Huntington Beach), and on drift dives in Thailand, so I am comfy with the idea...but If you're not, don't do the dive...duh! If not, we do some easier type dives... It is all up to the divers on board, we, as a group, make the decisions.

....Let's make this a rockin' boat!!! I have been arranging dive boats for the clubs I belong to down is SoCal for years. I will do my absolute best to bring great weather... from So Cal with me!

So bottom Line:

Sat. Feb. 3rd, 2007....Cypress Sea Dive Boat... 3 dives in south Carmel, garrapate areas, with main dive attempt to be Lobos Rocks....air fills included...food and soft drinks included...Nitrox available forr extra $$$...most importantly...diving with a bonafide SB group of funsters...for only $85!!!!!! Does it get better than this?

Call Frank at Any Water Sports, to reserve your spot on the Cypress Sea for Feb. 3rd. Just tell him you are with Laurel and ScubaBoard, so he knows to give you the discount. He says he'll be using your credit cards to hold the spot, but won't charge you until the dive day, so we can get the best price possible.

So, $95 is the normal price (and is what is listed on their website: http://www.cypresscharters.com/) . That is for 3 dives, includes Air fills, beverages, and food (inlcuding snacks and lunch). Nitrox is available for an additional $10 a fill.

Any Water Sports phone number is: 408-244-4433. I am so excited!!!! Be sure to tell your friends and get them to join us! Remember, this is a Carmel/Big Sur trip. Read the page on their website about "types of trips" and how seasoned a diver you should be, m'kay?

Wooooo Whoooooo!!!!!!!!!:bandsmlz: :wave-smil :multi: :multi: :multi:

Just dove Carmel this weekend off the Prince. Monterey Express was out there with us as well. It had a little surge but 35 to 40 feet of viz off the Eastern Pinns. Hope the conditions stay nice for you. If the swell is down this weekend we are going again.

First one to signed up, but Frank said he doesn't know anything about this discount or what not. Anyways, I'm going to push Ben and Minh to go on the ship. Hope Andy comes too, really want to get certified in nitrox and advance OW by him.

easy there junior.... Are you sure you aren't getting in over your head? Can you do blue water safety stops, deep dive and maintain your buoyancy on a wall? Don't let you enthusiasm get the best of you... there will be other trips.

From the Cypress Website- Types of Trips

Carmel Bay Trips (Two or three dives, 7:00 AM or 8:00 AM departures)

These trips are designed for divers with more experience and training. Two dive trips depart at 8:00AM, three dive trips at 7:00AM. Weather allowing, we travel around the point into Carmel Bay to sites with depths in the 75 to 90 foot range. Divers enjoy these sites because they are virtually inaccessible from shore, featuring diverse terrains and world class diving.

Preparation Level: At least 15 dives (4 within the last 12 months, some in cold water), boat and deep diving training, solid buoyancy control, ease at executing safety stops and solid navigation skills. Advanced diver certification is recommended.

Big Sur Trips (Three dives, 6:00AM departure)

These are the most advanced trips offered on a routine basis in the Monterey area. Divers aboard these trips are typically the most seasoned divers in our area and are willing to make the up to two hour trip each way to access untouched, natural sites that can have stunning marine life and visibility. While it does not occur on all our trips, some Big Sur trips have had visibility of 100 feet or more comparable to Caribbean waters. (It is still cold, however.) The dive profiles for this trip are aggressive. Depths range 80-150 ft for the first dives, and 60-100 ft for the second and third dives.

Preparation: Due to the nature of the trip, diver skills must be excellent; exceeding the level required for Carmel trips (see above). At least 30 cold water dives and Nitrox certifications are recommended.

I pretty much got those skills down almost especially being neutral since I don't even need to carry too much lead weight. Otherwise, I'm 100% nothing bad is going to happen.

we're opposites... I always expect the worse and train for it... then something less than that it's cake...

Hey if you're so sure can I borrow some cash? :D

Don't tell me you're out of cash...:rofl3: :11:

...but I still have checks in the checkbook... I must still have money...

Had to replace the clutch in the dive-mobile... so I'll have to cut back a bit next few months....

I'm sorta with Ben on this one.

Not sure how complete your profile is, but 50 dives was when I started learning that stuff, course I'm sorta slow :mooner:

Just to be clear, nobody can be 100% sure of the future. In my short time diving I've heard of several weird accidents on dive boats and been involved in one "close encounter".

Dive safe,

Mark

RoyN:
I pretty much got those skills down almost especially being neutral since I don't even need to carry too much lead weight. Otherwise, I'm 100% nothing bad is going to happen.

RoyN:
Roy, you might think you have "blue water safety stops, deep dive and maintain your
buoyancy on a wall" down, but have you dived with any of the regulars who would agree
with that? Most folks at your number of dives think they have it figured out. Then they
decide they don't. That cycle usually as at least two repetitions.

You're an 100% sure nothing bad is going to happen? The techies have a saying:
"Complacency kills."

Lobos Rocks is an advanced site.

It's a long way from anywhere.
The currents can be absolutely ripping (I've seen 3 knots through the rocks).
The surf on the rocks can pick you up and slam you down.

Read this:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ba_diving/message/25928

It's also a gear magnet. Besides Glenn's rig, I know of one other complete rig lost
there, and I've recovered a Nikonos V (and got it back to it's owner).

Some of this is mitigated by being able to do a live boat dive but:

1. A GOOD safety sausage is mandatory.
2. I wouldn't do it without flares and a backup light.

What happens if you get blown off, and everybody else doesn't? You're going to
have a long float, and be a mile away, by the time everybody else gets recovered.

Back
Top Bottom