Now what did I do with my mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As I hit the water following my giant stride something just didn't look quite right ... Everything was blurry. It took me a couple of moments to realize I didn't have my mask on. Even worse was that I couldn't remember if I'd jumped in with it on or not. I've done many "face plants" after the 3ft drop from the deck to the water on the boat before, but as I surfaced to get my mask from off the boat where I assumed I'd left it, something jarred my memory. "The shoreline wasn't blurry when I jumped in ..." duh - my mask had slipped off so seamlessly that I had not even realized it was on my face till that moment.

Not having the best vision in the world I dropped down hoping to see it laying on the bottom. As I decended a blue "mass" bobbed in front of me at about 10ft. I guess my mask is neutral or very close to it :wink:

From now on I'm keeping my hand a bit firmer on my mask when I giant stride in :)

Aloha, Tim

well, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have done this recently! :D

You might consider one of those neoprene "strap slappers" -- my mask floats quite nicely! :D

When we got certified in Thailand, we went out and bought masks with our instructor on the first day, along with these bright yellow snorkels that I now use to torture my dive buddies on occasion (the rationale was it is easy to see if you loose your mask).

First back roll off the boat my buddy surfaces without his new mask . . . I look down and it is descending into the abyss. Slowly. With a nice yellow snorkel.

Our DM dropped down and intercepted it at about 50 feet. Nice job by him.

To this day, I always think about this scene before I step off a boat. One of those early memories of diving that will stick with me.

Oh, and about dive 25 I had my spare mask decide to go on walkabout out of my drysuit pocket in the San Juans. Teached me the importance of clipping things off. Even in your pockets.

KrisB:
well, I'm glad I'm not the only one to have done this recently! :D

You might consider one of those neoprene "strap slappers" -- my mask floats quite nicely! :D

That's actually why I could see it - I have a bright blue neoprene strap on it. Makes it neutral though, not positive (which I like)

I lost one on one of my first backrolls into the water in Australia. Unfortunately, it was quite negative. Peter had to go down and get it for me, and was rather disgusted about it. I haven't lost one since.

okay here is my embarrassing moment: i have a purge valve on my mask and took it apart to clean the purge-- yes, i grabbed my mask off the table and threw it in the bucket to go diving. Got my gear on, headed out down to Firehouse (shore dive--already had defog on the lenses), got in the water then kicked out. Time to decend----hhhhhmmmmm my mask is full of water and i can't keep the water out. Hey idiot- you forgot to put the valve back in. Made for a great dive. I made it down 6 ft and the dive was over. Needless to say I haven't forgot to check the mask thoroughly before I head out the driveway.

My first time shore diving Oahu's north shore my dive buddy pooped out on the way back in. Had to tired diver tow her and manged to lose BOTH of our mask and snorkel setups in the water. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom