Questions on Wet suit styles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am in the market for a wet suit right now. Im sick of renting and getting low par suits.

So my question is, are there differences in comfort from the Farmer John style to the 1 piece style? Any plus's or minus's about either?
I am used to the Farmer John style and honestly, I dont know if the suits I used have to do with it, but they are a major pain to get on an off.
I know zippered ancles are a plus to look for from past experience. Also I guess a better smoother inside lining. The ones i use from the LDS are like bare foam on the inside.

I have been looking at Bare. They seem nice for the price. The LDS sells big on Henderson and Bare I think too.
I noticed the Bare has the Artic one with the hood already attached. Any comments or opinions on the comfort of the preattached hood?
I live in PA, so it would be colder waters I would use this for. Looking for a 7mm.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The one-piece back-zip suits tend to be easier to don and doff than the 2-pc suits. I used to dive with people who had 2-pc suits and they always needed help removing the jacket.

One disadvantage with a fullsuit is that it will not be as warm as a 2-pc (less insulation in the torso), but you can add a vest or a hooded vest to stay warmer.

Bare wetsuits seem to look nice and come in a large range of sizes. First thing you need to do is try some suits on, since fit is the most important thing in any wetsuit. I have a 7/5 fullsuit from Pinnacle; it was the only suit that fit me (2-pc suits did not fit at all), and I've been very happy with it. It has reinforced seam corners and a comfortable 10mm spine pad.

I have a small assortment of wetsuits. 1 3mm F/J, 1 7/5 Full and a 2mm shorty. I also had a 3mm full Henderson Hyperstretch that I finally gave up the dream that I was going to lose enough weight to fit into it. :( Of all of those, the Henderson Hyperstretch is the only way to go for me. If it weren't for price, I'd have one in each thickness. As it is right now, I'm just trying to afford one that fits right. :)

I grew up with farmer johns and hated putting them on. They take abit longer, but will keep you warmer due to the fact that you have more protection over your body core. I prefer 1 piece suites now though.....I think they are so much easier to get on and off.

The suites your looking at are great suites and Im not trying to change your mind at all, but give a serious look at the Pinnacle Merino lined suites. I have dove alot of suites and kept this one around because I felt that it kept me the warmest. Might not be as easy as a hyperstretch to put on, but definetly kept me warmer.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying and how you like it :)

Yea I always struggle with Farmers. I always have a friend yank the top from the Back real hard so I can get my arms out. Its rediculous. lol

The LDS doesnt offer too many brands I dont think. So its kinda hard to try the ones on that I want. Plus I dont like paying the LDS prices. Maybe Ill take a trip up to NY or something and hit up Divers Direct one day.

I figured the one piece ended up thinner in the torso area due to not doubling up like the farmer.
HOw cold do you think you can go in a reg one piece and be comfortable? I am not planning on doing winter diving. Just maybe Spring thru Fall in the NE area of the US. I dont like too cold of water.

I dove a BARE Arctic wetsuit in California for many years and found it to be a great suit for those conditions (water temp high 50s to mid 60s) and very versatile. I had a Hendrson suit for a few years before that and found that to be a good suit as well.

I recently acquired a Tilos suit with attached hood for diving outside of Alaska. I love it. Other folks I know really like the Xcel with attached hood.

Attached hood suits have advantages and disadvantages. For me, the disadvantage is that if you plan on spending any amount of time topside between dives in your suit (as if you are a divemaster, safety diver, or instructor) standing around in a full suit even if it is pulled down to the waist is very awkward. I don't do that stuff anymore. If I ever were to encounter that situation again, I would buy a farmer john with step in hooded top. I will not go back to a suit that does not have an attached hood as a matter of personal preference.

I always wear a hood in these waters anyway. Anything under 70 degrees and my cheeks and ears get cold. lol.
So does the hood always being attached get in the way at all or akward? How bout the zipper practically on your chin?

Another question. I see now there are semi dry wetsuits? Are they worth the extra money? Are just the seals diff to help keep more water out?

- you can't pee in a semi dry. :) Unless you want it to be semi wet.

I have a 2 piece 5 mil farmer john. I can get out of the top just fine, but the ankles cause me trouble. I don't need any help, per se, but I can't always beat my buddies out of a suit (I tend to be fast about everything, faster than dive buddies) Ankle zippers are something I won't buy a wetsuit without inthe future, methinks.

And yes, it fits quite tight: I dove witha farmer john for class, a 3 mil, and it was so loose that I froze every breath, as it let cold water in on my back. This suit is much tighter fitting, but I still have no problems whatsoever with the top, it's only the ankles that are hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom