What a score!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just acquired me an almost new (2 Dives) DUI TLS 350 Drysuit.
What a deal. I was a bit nervous as it was on eBay but they offered a 14 day money back so I went for it. I snagged it for just over $600 and its like brand new.

Last night I donned and doffed it 5 times for practice and was blown away how easy they are to don and doff. I really need to get this thing in the water.

It also came with a nice heavy dive wear suit that is about an inch thick in the chest and abdomen. I have no clue which one it is but its probably as warm as one could buy. I already had a thinsulate 200 so I am ready to rock in any water.

Now for a real silly question. Is it worth the investment in an argon setup if most my diving will be within the range of air? I imagine at some point in the next year I will graduate to Trimix to reach some wrecks I want to visit.

Also, Silly question #2, if diving Nitrox 32 is there any real fire hazard using backgas to inflate the suit?

Maybe these questions will be answered in training but I thought I would ask anyway.

Scooter

If that thing doesn't leak, you are one lucky guy!!!

Others will have to address the argon question. I'm still new to dry suit diving, I've only about 40 dives on my D/S.

You won't have any problems with your D/S and nitrox, but you'd better get your snorkel O2 cleaned . . . :D

the K

The Kraken:
If that thing doesn't leak, you are one lucky guy!!!

Others will have to address the argon question. I'm still new to dry suit diving, I've only about 40 dives on my D/S.

You won't have any problems with your D/S and nitrox, but you'd better get your snorkel O2 cleaned . . . :D

the K

I had the Snorkel cleaned last year. I guess I should get it at least vip'd this year :wink:
Its the snorkel keeper that has me worried!

I looked the suit over well and its like brand new. The neck had been trimmed but not the wrists. Luckily the neck was trimmed to my size. What a deal! After I had it on I tested it by squatting and it sealed nicely around the neck and wrists. The real test will be in the water but there are no abrasions, scuffs or any apparent damage at all. I was blown away when I received it. I figured at the very least I would need the seals replaced.

Scooter

Unless you are breathing gas mixes that include helium in very cold water, argon is un-necessary.

(There are those who would argue that argon is un-necessary in any case, however, lets not go there for the moment...)

There is no fire hazard whatever to using backgas to inflate your suit, and if you are currently diving EAN32 that is likely your best option. (Uh, why do you ask? - tell me you're not planning on diving with one of those pocket heaters or some other form of open flame, chemical heat pack, or those handwarmers inside your drysuit, ok?)

Run the drysuit inflator hose beneath your left arm.

That is indeed an unbelievable bargain. Good for you.

Drysuit diving can take a dive or two to figure out. Don't do your first dive in the new suit on some 100'+ wreck...

Dive safe and enjoy the drysuit,

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
Unless you are breathing gas mixes that include helium in very cold water, argon is un-necessary.

(There are those who would argue that argon is un-necessary in any case, however, lets not go there for the moment...)

There is no fire hazard whatever to using backgas to inflate your suit, and if you are currently diving EAN32 that is likely your best option. (Uh, why do you ask? - tell me you're not planning on diving with one of those pocket heaters or some other form of open flame, chemical heat pack, or those handwarmers inside your drysuit, ok?)

Run the drysuit inflator hose beneath your left arm.

That is indeed an unbelievable bargain. Good for you.

Drysuit diving can take a dive or two to figure out. Don't do your first dive in the new suit on some 100'+ wreck...

Dive safe and enjoy the drysuit,

Doc

Thanks Doc

My first dive is going to be in a pool
Then I figure a few shallow dives to figure it all out

Scooter

LavaSurfer:
I just acquired me an almost new (2 Dives) DUI TLS 350 Drysuit.
What a deal. I was a bit nervous as it was on eBay but they offered a 14 day money back so I went for it. I snagged it for just over $600 and its like brand new.

Last night I donned and doffed it 5 times for practice and was blown away how easy they are to don and doff. I really need to get this thing in the water.

It also came with a nice heavy dive wear suit that is about an inch thick in the chest and abdomen. I have no clue which one it is but its probably as warm as one could buy. I already had a thinsulate 200 so I am ready to rock in any water.

Now for a real silly question. Is it worth the investment in an argon setup if most my diving will be within the range of air? I imagine at some point in the next year I will graduate to Trimix to reach some wrecks I want to visit.

Also, Silly question #2, if diving Nitrox 32 is there any real fire hazard using backgas to inflate the suit?

Maybe these questions will be answered in training but I thought I would ask anyway.

Scooter

As Doc said if you're not making multi hour dives using Helium and you have good insulation you don't need the extra gear, expense, weight and task loading.

Besides with a new suit you're going to inflate and deflate that suit a bunch as you work through what works for you. For me a couple of pair of wool socks, and a good hood really make the difference on staying warm. No problems wth the gas either.

Congrats on a great purchase.

$600.00 for a nearly new TLS is a tremendous bargain. Bravo. As per training...DUI has info. on it's website + it's always a good idea to seek out folks who either teach drysuit usage, or have buddies acquainted with shell drysuits.

The reason I say this is because there are some drysuit safety procedures with regards to rapid ascent through over inflation, dumping gas, flooding etc.

Overall, it is intuitive but in my day I have seen new drysuit users break the surface fins up, or finish a dive with welts.

X

Great deal! Congratulation on your new drysuit.

Mr.X:
$600.00 for a nearly new TLS is a tremendous bargain. Bravo. As per training...DUI has info. on it's website + it's always a good idea to seek out folks who either teach drysuit usage, or have buddies acquainted with shell drysuits.

The reason I say this is because there are some drysuit safety procedures with regards to rapid ascent through over inflation, dumping gas, flooding etc.

Overall, it is intuitive but in my day I have seen new drysuit users break the surface fins up, or finish a dive with welts.

X
Mr.X is dead on here. One of the biggest mistakes new drysuit divers make is to put too much gas in the suit. The gas migrates inside the suit as the "attitude" of the diver changes in the water column - it runs back and forth always to the highest point. So, if you have a lot of gas in your suit around 40' and you adopt a head down trim, the gas runs to your feet. You begin drifting upward, the gas starts expanding, and the next thing you know you're feet first at the surface. Plus, drysuits are not like BCs for venting lots of gas rapidly. Because they have arms and legs that may be higher than the valve depending on the diver's trim, etc. drysuits often don't vent the gas as completely and quickly. So you have to keep ahead of the need to vent gas during ascent so that the suit doesn't get ahead of you (and don't put too much gas into the suit to begin with).

You'll get the hang of it, but like the other's said, give yourself a few dives in 40' of water or so first to figure out how to keep things copacetic. Drysuits add a bit more task-loading than wetsuits...

Best,

Doc

For my .02, take a little formal training before you dive open water with your new suit. I also got mine on eBay, a brand new O'Neil for less than half price, from a dive shop closing out it's inventory. I just took the drysuit specialty training from my LDS two weeks ago, and I agree absolutely with Doc Intrepid, there is a lot more task loading with a drysuit.
That said, I can't wait to take her out for a spin in open water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom