Drysuit Or Heavy Wetsuit????????????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MARK71

Reaction score
# of dives
:huh: I'AM TO TO BOTH MINNESOTA AND DIVING. BUT COME 1ST PART OF MAY I'LL GET MY C-CARD AND NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU'ALL THINK I SHOULD WEAR.I'LL BE DOING MOST OF MY DIVES IN N.CENTRAL,NW MINNESOTA,COLD SPRING FEED LAKES. I'AM DOING MY TAXES SOON SO I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SPEND MY$$$$-I'LL BE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME!!! THANKS MARK:mooner:

Hmmmmm this isnt an easy answer. A drysuit isnt a suit that you just put on and dive with. You will want to take a Dry Suit class, we offer them free with purchase of Dry suit, so ask your local LDS if they will do the same. They will definelty keep you warmer, but getting used to it will most likely take some time and being new to diving just dont get too frustrated.

On the other hand you can also get a Semi-Dry suit(heres an example of one)
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=116_275&products_id=1761

Semi Drys will keep you warmer than a wetsuit and not require any more training to use, only some more experience of diving with a new piece of equipment.....

Just a quick bit of info..hope it helps

There are probably a lot of different opinions but if you can afford it, go for the dry suit for cold water diving. While you can be reasonably warm in a heavy wetsuit (e.g., 7mm) after the initial shot of cold water, dry suits are nice because you don't freeze your tail off as much after the dive (being wet in cold air is far worse to me than being in the cold water in the first place) and will also keep you warmer between dives when you do more than one. The trade-off, of course, is the cost of a dry suit, a bit of extra training, a bit of maintenance, ... but you may find it worth it.

A good way to find out if you can hack it in the wetsuit is to get your OW cert wearing one. I wouldn't invest in either until after you get that done.

Hope this helps.

Drysuit for cold water diving. Initially they may be a little more difficult to dive in but you won't regret being warm. If it's cold enough for diving dry don't waste your time with a semi-dry

The only reason I'd dive in a wetsuit in cold water was if I couldn't afford a dry suit. Although this is just my personal preference.

Besides it's always fun coming up from a dive watching those around you shiver and shake for an hour while you're all warm.

Although they are somewhat expensive, I'd recommend the dry suit . . . . and I live in Georgia!!!!

the K

Hi and wecome to Scuba Board,
I'm going to go with the flow and vote on a dry suit. They take a bit of getting used to but the overall benefits as expressed above far out weight the discomfort of the learning curve. And the cost of a drysuit vs a wet suit will start to even out after you factor in longer dives, less discomfort during surface intervals and overall warmth.

Not to mention the added safety issue of less heat loss from the body during the S/I when you're doing multiple dives, especially in the winter.

the K

You can buy a used dry suit and learn to use it and stay dry. You shouldn't buy a used wet suit, or at least I wouldn't. A wet suit is eaiser to deal with than a dry suit and doesn't cost as much. A wet suit is better for someone staring out because of that. Also I doubt that you will be diving in ice or winter condition right away, so you really don't have a need for a dry suit. Just get a 1/4" or 7 mil wet suit and you will be fine until you have the experience to use a dry suit.

Dry suit for me. If you ask your LDS to give you a pool orientation, you can even complete your certification dives in it.

Dry suit if $$ available and you intent on diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom