Basic decompression procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Where would I learn this? I'm looking for something to allow me to get a few (read..not alot) more minutes of bottom time in the 100' - 120' range. I want to be able to safely do an extended dive at say 120' then perform a deco hang until I'm clear. Not really looking at "accellerated" deco as I would have to take an advanced Nitrox course.

Just looking at planning etc. Is this a no brainer? Should I understand the "rock bottom" concept then just run the deco in something like V-planner? Is it more about gas planning and management than anything else?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I think an "Advanced Nitrox" type course is the way to go.

"Advanced Nitrox" is the title of the IANTD course that introduces staged decompression. You can view the standards on the IANTD web site at www.IANTD.com .The depth limit is 130 ft and decompression is limited to 15 minutes (if I remember right).

JKSteger:
Where would I learn this? I'm looking for something to allow me to get a few (read..not alot) more minutes of bottom time in the 100' - 120' range. I want to be able to safely do an extended dive at say 120' then perform a deco hang until I'm clear. Not really looking at "accellerated" deco as I would have to take an advanced Nitrox course.

Just looking at planning etc. Is this a no brainer? Should I understand the "rock bottom" concept then just run the deco in something like V-planner? Is it more about gas planning and management than anything else?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Do the course.
This is not something you learn from a book or the internet.

Bruciebabe:
Do the course.
This is not something you learn from a book or the internet.

So, does the instructor teach the course from memory???? :D

Just kidding . . .

the K

In all reality you should take a decompression procedures course. The course will answer many of your questions along with supplemental information that can be found on the Internet.

I know with TDI at least, you can take a decompression procedures course without having to complete the advanced nitrox course. Personally though, I wouldn't recommend that as the TDI Advanced Nitrox course does provide more information on dive planning than the TDI Decompression Procedures course does.

Decompression diving isn't much different than a normal dive, but you don't know what you don't know and I don't think there will be many people on here that will provide much information to you because of the liability aspect.

MikeFerrara:
I think an "Advanced Nitrox" type course is the way to go.

"Advanced Nitrox" is the title of the IANTD course that introduces staged decompression. You can view the standards on the IANTD web site at www.IANTD.com .The depth limit is 130 ft and decompression is limited to 15 minutes (if I remember right).

Thanks Mike,
I'll check it out. Sounds like that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Jeremy

Most of us teach the Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Cours together. In fact, I would be hard pressed to seperate them.

captndale:
Most of us teach the Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Cours together. In fact, I would be hard pressed to seperate them.

Not being a troll or anything like that so please don't take this being that way or as a smart ***** comment but...

If you would be hard pressed to seperate them, then why are they always listed as 2 seperate entities? I always hear..."advanced nitrox" and then again I hear "Decompression course". Why not just call it "Accelerated Deco Procedures", sell one book and one class?

Am I off on this, I was told that the advanced nitrox course is good because at higher o2 mixes you can "accelerate" the decompression window. And of course Deco is deco (sum it up very, very basic). I was told that if I only had a deco course that almost all charters would be reluctant to take me out because the schedule usually calls for accelerated deco and unless I had advanced nitrox then I had to perform 'old fashion' deco which usually interupted the charter's schedule it was trying to keep.

Jeremy

JKSteger:

Thanks,

Jeremy
Without going into what course to take and why they are separate, here is my take. Decompression is more than just running a profile in vplanner and rock bottom gas planning. You have to also account for 'more than you need' deco gas, know how to continue deco if lost deco gasses, what to do when missing/omitting deco stops, what can/can not be done if you surface earlier than planned, what if you run late in deco schedule. What procedures to follow when switching gasses, how to plan a deco dive based on gasses and environment, plan for support and how to communicate, whan safety tools to use and how to use them.

I did the TDI advanced nitrox course then did my deco. I would recommend both. First advanced nitrox then deco. You learn a heck of alot in the advanced nitrox course that gives you a good foundation for the deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom