Hand Held 10 Watt HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8fuldiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 10 Watt HH as a backup light for my canister. I've used it on two dives and let it run in my sink a few times to test it out. Each time I use it in the water I notice water droplets in the screw grooves where the light head and battery housing meet. The water I am noticing is not water that is trickling down when I open the unit as a little moisture is also present towards the top of the battery housing. I also noticed that the two O-rings used to make this seal were a little chewed up, so I ordered replacements from DRX and tested the light with new o-rings in my sink last night. I let the unit burn for a couple of hours and turned it off and went to bed. When I woke up and opened the unit to recharge the batteries, I was greeted with a hiss when I opened it, almost as if it became pressurized while sitting in my sink (not really sure what caused that as the temperature did not change). I also noticed more water than usual inside this time. Before I would only get some water drops where the two sections meet, this time the positive side of one of my new expensive rechargeable batteries was wet and a little moisture was on the inside of the battery housing sled. Nothing else inside was wet, but it was clear that water had made it down into the housing. I also noticed that one of the new o-rings looked like it had a very minor abrasion on it, probably caused when the unit was screwed together, as it was a new o-ring prior to the test in the sink.

Is it normal for this light to have a little moisture inside the battery housing after being used?

I know some of the lights DR sells come with a warning that the o-rings must be lubricated or the light will flood. Is this the case with the HID HH?

Is it possible that the screw grooves might have a rough spot or kink that is causing the o-rings to be chewed up which could be the reason the moisture is getting in the unit.

Anyone else have this problem? If it leaks in my sink, I'd hate to see what it does when I'm on a deep dive and its under some pressure. Hopefully it will have an easy fix.

-E

There is a sharp edge cutting your o-rings that needs to be rounded. Give us a call at 386.752.1087 to get an RMA# to send in your light and we will fix it and give you some new o-rings. And yes -- you do need to lubricate the orings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom