no exhaust/dump valve on drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dancam009

New
Reaction score
I have just bought an older style (non-crushed neoprene) SAS (Sub Aquatic Suits) drysuit off ebay. It came with one inflater valve on the chest with a hose dangling with a mouth piece on the end which I assume is for blowing air into the suit. This valve also has a screw on the end that releases air when open. This suit does not have a dump or exhaust valve located on the arm like all the rest of the drysuits made these days. My question is: Should I buy a dump valve and install it on one of the arms or will my chest inflate/dump valve dump work fine? And if so, why didn't the factory originally include a dump valve on this suit when it was manufactured?
Any response will be appreciated.

If that is the only thing wrong with that suit I would be surprised. Sounds like you got an antique.
At first I thought you had a kayakers dry suit not intended for underwater. I'm still not sure that you don't.
Is the valve a dump valve or just an inflator valve? I think you will find out that it is a dump valve and you orally inflate it. In that case I would say to put a dump valve on the arm. Wether you do it or send it in is another question.

you should check your wrist seals and neck seal, as well as the zipper. If you don't know how to inflate your suit and check for leaks (which isn't hard), then you may want to either get with a buddy who does know how or ask your LDS to check the suit out for you. When you send it in for new seals, have them stick an arm dump valve in it - it will make your diving easier.

dancam009:
I have just bought an older style (non-crushed neoprene) SAS (Sub Aquatic Suits) drysuit off ebay. It came with one inflater valve on the chest with a hose dangling with a mouth piece on the end which I assume is for blowing air into the suit. This valve also has a screw on the end that releases air when open. This suit does not have a dump or exhaust valve located on the arm like all the rest of the drysuits made these days. My question is: Should I buy a dump valve and install it on one of the arms or will my chest inflate/dump valve dump work fine? And if so, why didn't the factory originally include a dump valve on this suit when it was manufactured?
Any response will be appreciated.

the corrugated hose is the inflate /deflate tool to use..real old suit,probably from late 70's early 80's....hope you did not pay too much for it..can have valves installed,ant competent LDS can do it but costs may outweight it..Depends what kind of shape it is in and what you paid for it..

I just looked at the pics and it’s a diving suit. I still have a couple in the diving locker at work to use for training.

This is an early generation dry suit. Earlier ones were like the old MK-5 suits which were totally unsuitable for anything else than a MK-5 style set up.

Then was the inner tube condom that either had an entry in the front or rear with NO zipper. You climbed through a tube which was folded over and sealed with a twine or a clamp. No inflator and no exhaust. After a dive you looked like a road map for several days.

Then thanks to NASA we got the waterproof zipper. Still no inflator or exhaust valves. Then someone got smart and added the oral inflator to the chest. This acted as both inflator and exhaust valves.

Later came the LP inflator hose connected to the oral inflator, like today’s BC connection. Then we got separate inflators and exhaust valves.

Your suit looks like a newer version so I would guess it to be in the early 80’s. $122.50 is a good price even if it just ends up being a wall hanger.

If it doesn'd leak you might want to look into putting boots on it. A common problem with older neoprene suits is seam leaks. With the suit MEGA DRY a thin smooth bead of Auua Seal should take care of that. If the neck seal is too loose you can take a small wedge out of it to snug it up. With no rotton spots you should be able to make an operating suit out of it.

Gary D. :wink:

If it fits well and you wish to use it, you could have someone install a power inflator and exhaust valve.

I recall these suits from the mid to late 80s if memory serves. I looked at the link and without looking at the detail it does look like a suit from that era or possibly a few years later. It may still be quite serviceable. Before you have seals, an exhaust valve, and inflator valve installed, you may want to consider the marginal cost of doing these mods versus getting a new or more recent model suit and saving this one for vintage diving experiences or if you kayak using it as a kayak suit.

A couple of weeks ago at the pool where I teach swimming, an instructor was explaining to a student that by the time similar mods were made to an old shell suit from the 90s (the valve had been recalled as a safety issue and the seals needed to be replaced) it would be better to buy a new or reconditioned suit, considering the age of the material and the design of the suit.

And a crotch entry to boot. If the suit is in decent shape (zipper and seals are still good) you got an ok buy. If not you probably could have bought a low end dry suit or a newer used for the same price as this one repaired

If you need a zipper PM me and I might be able to get you one. The LDS had one that was a crotch entry but the seals and everything else were shot. I don't know if he pitched it when he cleaned last month or not.

Back
Top Bottom