The E-Bay question of the year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tremtech

Reaction score
Some one out there has to fill me in on the logic of the E-Bay auction section no reserve. Why would anyone pay more $$$ for a used item such as fins that you can buy from places such as Liesurepro or Scubatoys for less money. 1st Example: used Scubapro Jet Fins they are listed an one of those sites for approximately $63.00 (new )plus postage usual $4-$5 dollars .The auction I was watching ended 2 hours ago with someone bidding 55.00 plus 15.00 shipping and handling for scratched up fins what a bargin,my first thought was this is some newbie but this person has purchased several scuba items over the last year. I have bid an several items over the years and never won. 2nd Example :al 80 tank 1993 numbers used I bid $70 plus the $20 shipping. The guy who won the auction paid $139.00 plus$20.00 shipping ,about the same price or more as a new al80.Wow this person also has 278# and 99.7 rating so this is no new guy .There are several more but you get my point So someone ease my simple mind

tremtech:
Some one out there has to fill me in on the logic of the E-Bay auction section no reserve. Why would anyone pay more $$$ for a used item such as fins that you can buy from places such as Liesurepro or Scubatoys for less money.

Because, my friend.. there are some really DUMB people out there.

Use it to your advantage.

Z...

it amazes me sometimes paying retail or more for used items

I've also seen used items go for more than I could have had them new through some special or such, often as a result of bid wars and ignorant buyers. With high reserve prices I assume it's mostly sellers who themselves bought the item for twice the "leisurepro" price and now think they can sell it for a little less, or maybe they are just trying to get lucky with an uninformed buyer. Most of the time those guys don't make the sale though and I assume they lose some money for running the auction (never sold anything on ebay myself).

You see that here too, people sometimes post classifieds trying to sell their "like new" gear for more than you could get it from scubatoys or other legitimate retailers.

Actually, this is what happens in an auction situation.

People get caught up in the bidding "war" and lose sight of the fact that they could probably get the item elsewhere less expensively. It becomes a "win at all costs" mentality and logic gets tossed out the window.

To be successful in an auction situation, you need to set a maximum price you are willing to pay and stop at that number. Leave all emotion out of it.

John

jwalko:
To be successful in an auction situation, you need to set a maximum price you are willing to pay and stop at that number. Leave all emotion out of it.
That is, of course, unless you are bidding on my used crap. In a situation like that, the "win at all costs" technique is highly effective. :)

Like everything lots of people are impulsive and don't do their homework. The auction envionment takes it to another level of foolishness.

I always decide in advance what my top dollar is. If I get beat it just means somebody wanted it more than me or thought it was worth the $$.

There are cases where an item being sold is a rare or special variant and often the seller is not even aware of the fact. It could be the year, the color who knows! There are so many collectors of almost everything that will value a particular item in an unconventional way.

Don't forget the people buying props and memorabelia for decor in places like resurauants. They have deep pockets for anyting that has "the look".

Pete

They are in it to WIN whatever the cost. But thats just my opinion.

This may be because some folks are using their LDS for the price benchmark rather than one of the online discount dealers.

ebay can be highly addictive, just like gambling etc... Logic and reason don't enter the equation at times.

My wife was able to pay for our last Disney trip solely on money made selling disney trading pins on ebay. Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom