Swimming With Minke's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icicbiz

Reaction score
I have just read an article about swimming with Minke Whales and it blew me away. The operator was Undersea Explorer out of Port Douglas.

Does anyone know if there are similar operators (conservation orientated) further south? Port Douglas is a long way from Sydney...

Peter

The Minke's start arriving in the ribbon reefs of the Great Barrier Reef about late May. At least that was what the crew said when we encountered them on the very last day of a week long live aboard in late May 2001 at Lighthouse Reef. Most boats out of Cairns do that trip so I don't think you need a special boat, but the UnderSea Explorer is a top rated ship - although they seem to do one less dive per day than the competition (Taka, Mike Ball, etc...). I went on the Aquarius ship and it was great for saving money but I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy as they misrepresented several major things and safety was not on their minds.

As far as the conservation orientation UE is a unique operation. They have research projects going on and make daily educational presentations to the passengers. They have even produced a film on the Minke's that they sold to National Geographic. The whale experience is done with snorkels and everyone holds ont a line behind the boat. From the film it appears to work as the whales get comfortable with the setup and approach the snorkelers.

On our trip they captured and released live Nautilus critters. Also they have installed tracking and identification devices on many of the resident sharks at Osprey. They hauled up a few to measure their growth and then released them.

It is a really fine boat, I was just on it at the end of October. The Chef was great and the crew very helpful.

It is true that they schedule 4 dives per day maximum rather than 5, but only a few dives had a bottom time limit and that was usually an hour. Otherwise, the rule was come back to the boat with your buddy and 500 psi. You could also do more than 1 deep dive per day. I don't remember anyone complaining about bottom time. It was more like people were reaching the limits of their endurance by the end of the trip, and most of them were in their 30's. (On Minke trips the do fewer dives than at other times.)

If you think Port Douglas is far from Sydney, it is a whole bunch further from Houston TX where I live. Besides, there are other things to do up north and Port Douglas is a neat town.

Thanks for the advice, the undersea explorer sounds like the best option....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom