Blue Hole - Dahab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

audission

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm off there next week. After watching the "Holy *****!" thread closely in the accidents forum, I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about the Blue Hole, in Dahab?

I understand it's massively deep - are there any surprise currents or pitfalls to watch out for? I'm only planning to do rec diving (<30m) so if the Blue Hole is massively dangerous I'll be sure to dive elsewhere.. :confused:

Calm down and enjoy your dive :)

There are many diving possibilties around. You may enjoy better diving outside the blue hole- a fantastic coral wall, or doing the "Bells-Blue Hole" etc. etc.

The Blue Hole is not dangerous- it is the divers who are. If you dive safely then the Blue Hole is as safe as any divesite you'll ever dive...

Jai Bar summed it up – the dive site itself is not dangerous, it is the divers doing stupidly deep dives on recreational equipment that give the Blue Hole a bad name. Dive it at recreational levels, doing the dive Asser suggested, you will enjoy a great dive which is no more dangerous than any other 28-30m dive.

Mark

Blue hole is fine to dive and as the others say its nice to go bells - blue hole. Its not dangerous unless you plan on going to one of the deeper arches which you won't be. No need to go below 30 at the blue hole.

If you diving in Dahab then be sure to dive gabr el bint, canyon and islands. I prefer them all to the blue hole. Blue is nice though.

Cheers

John

Good info guys, thanks.

Why the temptation to do stupidly deep dives here on rec kit here then? I'm sure it's spectacular and all that, but surely all the usual laws of barometric science still apply..

:shakehead

audission:
I'm off there next week. After watching the "Holy *****!" thread closely in the accidents forum, I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about the Blue Hole, in Dahab?

I understand it's massively deep - are there any surprise currents or pitfalls to watch out for? I'm only planning to do rec diving (<30m) so if the Blue Hole is massively dangerous I'll be sure to dive elsewhere.. :confused:

What everyone said. You'll love it there.

Since you asked for more details on the Blue Hole, I might add this:

bluehole-luft.jpg

The Blue Hole is a safe diving spot, usually packed with divers - both rec and tec divers, but also with freedivers and snorkelers! You needn't worry about currents, just be careful not to touch or to step on a lionfish or a stingray, but that is a general advice for the whole Red Sea.

If you enter the Blue Hole, you'll probably take a tour of the site, then dive to the saddle and back. Some say there's not much to see in the Blue Hole itself, but I loved diving there and having freedivers go down their ropes right next to me and tec divers disappearing in the depth or going for the arch etc. It's a fun place.

Just don't use those ropes yourself. You never know if a freediver might emerge from the deep right under you or if another is getting ready to use that very rope for his dive. Also, some freedivers might wave to you, but only wave back, don't initiate the communication yourself. It's their training ground and they go for results there.

As others said, the best way to dive the Blue Hole is by starting at the Bells and then following the reef to the saddle of the Blue Hole, entering it then going out. I'm sure it's what you'll do.

Bells is very near (off the bottom side from the BH on the above pic), so you'll gear up at the Blue Hole and walk your way to the Bells entry point. As you walk there you'll pass the rock with the plaques with names of the divers who lost their lives at the Blue Hole.

You can see what entrance to the Bells looks like in Asser's avatar pic (and Jai Bar's is a standard diving sign seen at many divespots in the area, Blue Hole included). Might be a tricky entry for a beginner, but it's well worth it. Once you jump in, you'll dive down the chimney - again, nothing to worry about and very beautiful. From there you'll follow the reef wall to the Blue Hole as I already described. If you're lucky, you may see some huge turtles or rays swimming there, and of course lots of corals.

As others have noted, Blue Hole can be dangerous only to those who are diving outside their limits or pushing their luck. Dive conservatively and it's as safe place as any. I'm sure you'll love it. Blue Hole is a remarkable site, however, some other sites offer much more to be seen. You won't be disappointed in Dahab!

Hope we helped and that we'll read your report soon on ScubaBoard. :)

Well
please understand that Blue Hole was never a prob to anyone who did rec dive and stayed within the limits!!!
almost all of thoe who died there were Professionals who wanted to excced the limits going so deep on Normal air or doing the arge.. so dont worry

it is an awesome dive you will enjoy it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom