Montery Bay Aquarium GW released today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm glad I got to see him this time.

http://www.mbayaq.org/whiteshark/

"Back to the Wild
1/16/2007
After 137 days in our Outer Bay exhibit, our male white shark was returned to the wild shortly after sunrise this morning by our husbandry team. He was larger at release than our first white shark (6-feet-5 inches and 171 pounds vs. 6-foot-4 ½ and 162 pounds), and our aquarists decided that–for his well-being and theirs–they didn’t want to wait until he had grown any larger before moving him back to the ocean.

We released him from a boat in Monterey Bay after fitting him with an electronic data tag that will track his movements for the next 90 days. If all goes as planned, on April 15 the tag will pop free and deliver information via satellite about where the shark traveled, how deep he dove and the water temperatures he favored. Soon after, the data will be posted to the Tagging of Pacific Pelagics web site, www.toppcensus.org.

As with our first shark in 2004-05, we’d always intended to return him to the wild. He was healthy and feeding at the time of release, and had shown no interest in his exhibit-mates. He had, in recent weeks, developed some abrasions on his snout–another consideration that factored into the timing of his release.

In 50 years of attempts, this marks only the second time a white shark has survived more than 16 days at an aquarium. It was only the second to consistently take food offered by aquarium staff. Our first (and smaller) shark was with us for 198 days in 2004-2005.

We’ll resume our white shark field project this summer, and hope to bring a third white shark to Monterey to share with visitors. Stay tuned!"

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I didn't even get to see it. I've been too lazy of standing in line to get a ticket or parking and now I missed my chance. Oh well, hope I see one in the wild.

I'll keep an eye out for this one down here, but you may have better luck seeing it up north, RoyN [typo].

Edited: :azvatar:

RoyN:

I didn't even get to see it. I've been too lazy of standing in line to get a ticket or parking and now I missed my chance. Oh well, hope I see one in the wild.
\
Get an aquarium membership. No waiting for tickets. No tickets. You get to come
in the side door.

I think we bought tickets online and when we got there on a Friday morning at 1030, went to will call and then walked right in. It was a great weekend. Monterey was a blast.

RoyN:

Don't worry they released him in the bay!! :11:

RoyN:

Not to sure I would like to see one in the wild. Might confuse me with a tasty surfer. :no

Maybe we can see him on our dives this weekend. Here fishy fishy!!! My what nice teeth you have!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom