Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott in AK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So the question for the Alaska divers is.
What type of sharks do we have in South Central and SE alaksa?
I am planing to do most of my salt water diving in the Valdez area ,with trips to the Kenai and SE.
Have you had any encounters or problems?
Any info would be appreciated.

Salmon Sharks, Great Whites (Sitka last summer, tore a halibut in half), sleeper sharks. Never seen any of thee above but I've heard some pretty good stories from comercial fishermen.

I've heard that there are Salmon sharks , but know one that I know can tell me if they pose a threat.

I plan on spearfishing a bit. so I know that I will need to be aware of what is going on around me.

Scott,

I'm a shark fan and would love to see a Salmon shark in the wild! But it sounds like you are trying to avoid them?

Salmon sharks are in the same family as the Porbeagle, Mako, and Great White.

I'm not a spearfisherman, but if I was, I would definately put my speared fish in the boat, or land, instead of swimming around with it.

Salmon sharks can supposedly get as long as 10 feet. So, in my opinion, any carnivorous fish can pose a threat, especially while spearfishing...especially a shark that big. I would keep my eye out for them.

Sand Tigers, which are known to be extremely docile while scuba diving with them, have been known to aggresively chase spearfisherman with a fresh catch.

I'd love to hear about your adventures with Salmon sharks if you find any...
Bill

I spearfish (freediving) out of Seward and Whittier. We've never had problems or any encounter with sharks. What type of fish are you planing to hunt?

I will be after mainly lings and I am going to give a try at kings and silvers.
and of course anything else that happens to swim by.

How do you set up your gun? lineshaft? floatline?
I was thinking of rigging up my big gun with floatline for the Kings, and line shafting rockfish and silvers with my midsize gun.

Do you go after Haibut?

You shouldn't have any trouble with lings and rock fish with scuba. Just about any speargun will do for those fish as you can get within a few feet if not inches. A pole spear would do just fine or any speargun (your midsize would be great).

Salmon are a bit more difficult. Freediving is best as they seem to steer clear of bubbles. A slip tip spear is helpful, they have soft flesh. As for halibut, I have not figured out those guys yet. They seem to be very skittish which was a surprise to me. I have a break away shaft on a floatline for halibut. I have not had a successful halibut hunt yet but have high hopes for next year. I've heard stories about successful halibut hunts but have not heard any first hand accounts yet...

I've had stringers of fish in the water for 3-4 hours and not attracted any sharks. I did attract a curious sea lion once although he didn't take any of my fish.

Thanks for the info.
I wasn't real worried, but it pays to have information

Back
Top Bottom