Great White?!!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4sdi

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has seen a Great White in the Florida Keys?

Last week, on a late Sunday afternoon, 4 of us were diving the Eagle wreck off Tavanier. As we returned to the anchor line, all four of us noticed a very large shark swim by. Unfortunatly it was right on the edge of visibility, so it was difficult to recognize. Of the four of us, two say it was too far away to tell (included me), one says he saw a lot of characteristics of the Great White, but wasn't sure, and the last of us swears it was a Great White. I was wondering if anyone else has seen one in the Keys?

Mark

PS the diving was GREAT, and when I get a chance, Ill type out a full dive report for the trip.

Great whites are generally cold water fish. They are more often seen in South Australia, South Africa, and a few in California.

I am glad you had a good trip.

Chad

They have been caught off Islamorada, but it's been several years since I last heard of one being landed. Actually, the Eagle is closer to Islamorada than Tavernier.

Walter once bubbled...
Actually, the Eagle is closer to Islamorada than Tavernier.

Very true, I said Tavernier 'cause thats where we were diving out of. BTW, it was an awesome dive!

Mark

Great White Shark

Last year in Catalina in about 40 feet of water with 80 ft visibility he and 2 other friends had a frisky Great White get very close. They all ended the dive immediately. Apparently later, it was discussed that several dive boats spotted the dorsal fin on the surface during that same day. I have one word ... respect.

They've been spotted as far north as New York and Halifax on the east coast

Mike D
:blffish:

I think the beaches of Northern Calif (Mavericks) have seen more than a few. Not that it takes more than one.

It would be very unusual to see a great white in the keys. The keys are shallower, as someone already mentioned they like deeper, colder water, also there wouldnt be much in the way of food around there, seeings as the main course for whites are seals.

Black tip reef sharks are similiar to the whites, and could have been mistaken for a white...

But.....for the purposes of impressing people, and having a cool story to tell......IT WAS A GREAT WHITE lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom