How to affix pockets onto neoprene wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonka97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Affixing Diverite pockets to my neoprene wetsuits.

How do I do it? IE stretch neoprene, then glue?:huh:

What glue to use? Where can it be purchased?:huh:

Thanks!:D

I would contact a local dive shop and ask for their advice. I've always found dive shops ready and willing to help. They would have the glue as well.

I used AquaSeal for a thin warm water wetsuit. It worked..ah, okay, I guess, but I only did about 20 dives in it on vacation.

tonka97:
Affixing Diverite pockets to my neoprene wetsuits.

How do I do it? IE stretch neoprene, then glue?:huh:

What glue to use? Where can it be purchased?:huh:

Thanks!:D

Put your suit on and determine where you wan the pocket. I recommend placement on the outside of the thigh, and high enough that you can reach the bottom of the pocket with your finger tips without bending down.

Mark the outline of the pocket on the suit.

Take off the suit and compare the outline of the pocket with your marks. If the outline is smaller off your body, then the suit was stretched when you were wearing it.

You will want to cut a piece of cardboard or similar material to shove down the pat leg to strech out the suit as if it was being worn. This is important if the pocket backing does not stretch.

Glue it down with the adhesive of choice. Mcnett Seal adhesive, contact cement etc.

If you can find a wetsuit repair shop, have them blind stitch the edges down like a knee pad.

If not, consider hand stitching down the corners.

The DSS pockets wetsuit pockets
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page26.html
have an over sized neoprene backing. If you glue down the first 1/2 inch of the backing, and then sew the perimeter, you can recover the pocket and move it to your next suit by cutting off the outer 1/2 of backing.

Good luck,

Tobin

i would first mount the pocket on a piece of neo a bit larger than the pocket itself.
next blind stitch the edge of the neo to the suit this allows the pocket and suit to move independently making the suit more comfortable than having a stiff patch mid thigh.

good luck,
Al

ps
if you need a pro www.aquaflite.com

Thank you SB'ers for the wonderful information!

It is much appreciated.

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom