Please Help Me Pick A Wet Suit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DuckyDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,
I will be going to Hawaii in May and I would like to buy a wet suit before I go. After some research I have decided on a full length 3 mil, I am still trying to decide between these three suits from scubatoys.

Bare Mens 3mm Progressive Stretch Suit
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Bare3mProgressiveMens

Pinnacle Mens 3mm Breaker Wet Suit
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PinnacleMensBreakerSuit

Bare Brigade Full Mens 3/2 Wetsuit
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BareBrigadeFullMens

I don't know much about these things and would be grateful for any input anyone has
on these suits.

thanks
Don

I have a 5/4 Bare Velocity that was a match on the size chart but it's pretty tight. I bought it before they released their new more stretchable suit in '06. I do give it good marks for quality.

I think Bare's tend to run a tad on the small side.

Last year I bought a Bare 1mm - sized it up 1 notch. Took it on a trip and the first time I put it on the stitching around the wrist broke in a couple of places on both arms and it seemed to blouse out just below above the ankles. I sent that one back or a refund.

I have a SeaQuest, an O'niell and a Henderson. I like all of those and the Henderson Hyperstretch is probably my favorite with the SeaQuest a close second and it's the best looking of them all. Good craftsmanship in all of them.

I've heard Pinnacle is good. Don't really know.

I own a Pinnacle Breaker (and my wife owns the female version)... great suit, fits well and is pretty tough - even through the rocky quarry entries it had to endure over the summer. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Personally I am a big fan of BARE suits. Either the 3 or 3/2 should work I would think.

I do have one philosophy about suits, and that is to go a bit thicker that you think you will need for two reasons:

1. Wherever you dive, if you dive long enough, you will acclimate. I've done dives in the carribbean and kidded local divers about their donning 7mm suits while I was wearing a 1mm skin. A week later I was adding a 5mm jacket and wishing I had something thicker.

2. All neoprene suits will eventually lose some of their ability to keep you warm. Each time you dive, they compress and after enough dives, they stay compressed. Buy a bit thicker and you will use them longer.

The BARE 5/4 is also a great suit.

Jeff

Personally, I don't wear anything thinner than a 5mm full in Hawaii. The water in May will be around 75-76 degrees, which is far too cold for a 3mm IMO.

Got to agree with DiveMaven here. The dive guides I spoke to on Oahu recommended wearing a 5mm, or at least a 3mm with core warmer vest underneath.

Makai

My friend dives in Hawaii alot as he and his wife have a timeshare there. He also always dives in a 5 mil and says he's seldom comfortable enough temperature wise in a 3 mil. I wish I had a Hawaiian vacation planned! Have fun!

Lucky dude.

I dove Oahu last year in Feb in what the locals described as terrible weather. I used a borrowed wetsuit, (full 3mm I think) and I was snug as a bug. But then we get -40° in Feb back home, so my tolerance is probably a little higher.

I own the shorty version of the Bare Progressive and I love it. But Don is right, I had to go one size bigger than I would have thought.

Go with a Bare 5/4mm Velocity. The new Velocity's are progressive stretch and fit even better than the older ones. I have a Bare 3/2mm Velocity and I love it. I'm about to purchase a Bare 7mm Alpine.

Just make sure you check the sizing chart and measure yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom