Problems with old neoprene drysuits??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveJockey

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
There are several cheap ($200-$500) neoprene drysuits on eBay and craigslist. I can afford one of these suits, and being a new diver I'm anxious to get in the water.

One suit in particular is a Harvey's, in excellent condition. The suit is 7 years old but according to the seller, it's only seen the water 3 times.

Q1: Does neoprene break down over time if it isn't being used?

Q2: Which brands of neoprene suits are best? Harvey's, O'neil, Atlan...

Q3: Regarding trapped air, is it better to dive with a tighter fitting 7mm neo drysuit with minimal undergarments, or a baggier 3.5mm neo drysuit with thick undies?

Thanks everyone! Cheers

Is there any reason you have jumped to the conclusion you need a drysuit? I see that you are in Seattle, but have asked around to see what the other locals are diving in? You might be surprised how many people dive in wetsuits. You can get set up with some pretty warm wetsuits for a small fraction of what a good drysuit will run you.

I just ask because you say your a new diver, and I'd hate to know that you rushed right into buying a drysuit without having examined all your options. Typically most new divers don't start out with a drysuit.

I learned in a drysuit from the get-go. This great shop, lighthouse diving, gives you the option of learning in a drysuit from the beginning for $100 more. After seeing the other freezing students between dives, I'm set on a drysuit.

Winter diving is the best here in the NW, and I like being comfortable between dives.
Thanks for your reply

DawgDiver:
Is there any reason you have jumped to the conclusion you need a drysuit? I see that you are in Seattle, but have asked around to see what the other locals are diving in? You might be surprised how many people dive in wetsuits. You can get set up with some pretty warm wetsuits for a small fraction of what a good drysuit will run you.

I just ask because you say your a new diver, and I'd hate to know that you rushed right into buying a drysuit without having examined all your options. Typically most new divers don't start out with a drysuit.

If he wants to run the 4 seasons then he's on the right track. I agree that a good wetsuit can offer a lot of protection. The rub is that the SI and post dive change-out can be somewhere between tourture and danger for a wetsuited diver as the airtemp falls below 40-50 F.

I hear lots of good about Harveys. I am happy with my Atlan. I have buddy who is doing well with his used Oneil.

As for the weight of the suit vs.undergarments there are a few things in play.

A 7mm suit will be a 7mm suit for all 12 months. If there are times when you want to dive warm water dry it may be too much suit.

The 7mm suit will be part of your thermal and buoyancy equations. As you go deep it will loose buoyancy AND warmth. Injecting air will restore the insulation of your garments but not the suits rubber. So if you plan to make deep cold dry dives you may need to over dress near the surface to have adequate protection down deep. Over dressing will mean adding weight to compensate. My cold water diving is mainly shore dives to 50 feet or less and a 7mm DS with a Bare T-100 garment and a wicking layer does very will down to below 40F.

A baggy suit offers more wrong places for air to collect and is less streamlined. This in a lot of ways is no worse than a trilminate suit or even many compressed neoprene suits.

There are a lot of interactions going on here.

Pete

I dive in an Atlan 7mm suit, with polar tec long johns. I have stayed warm in the quarries here in VA. I have been in water down to 48 degrees at 70ft with this suit and have liked the warmth.

How much weight do you wear with your 7mm neo dry suit? How much do you weigh?

I'm not an expert on drysuits, so take these thoughts or assumptions for what they are worth:

DiveJockey:
Q1: Does neoprene break down over time if it isn't being used?

I'd assume it depends on how it's stored. If it's stored just right then I guess it would remain in great shape. However, if it's crammed up into a little bundle, or exposed to excessive heat, cold, sun or something else, then I guess some damage will occur...

Q2: Which brands of neoprene suits are best? Harvey's, O'neil, Atlan...

In addition to brand reviews I'd also look into fit. O'Neills, for example, tend to have a slimmer or more athletic fit than most other brands, so that's the only stock suit that fits some people.

Q3: Regarding trapped air, is it better to dive with a tighter fitting 7mm neo drysuit with minimal undergarments, or a baggier 3.5mm neo drysuit with thick undies?

I would assume the pressure would "compress" the bubbles (and hence the thickness) of a 7mm suit to half it's size by the time you hit about 60 ft. I assume the non-compressed suits are only warmer at shallow depths, below that you would probably require the same undergarments as with the 3.5mm compressed suits.

DawgDiver:

Seattle it defiantly dry suit territory. Water temps are a high of 56 and lows down to 45. It is diveable in a wet suit but most dives quickly decide to go dry. There are a few people that consistently dive wet but they are very much in the minority.

With any used dry suit (especially neoprene ones) expect that you will get leaks.
When I first started diving I bought a Harvey's that had been hanging around for years just like the ones you are talking about. It kept me warm and diving for quite a while but it leaked constantly. Get your self a big tube of aquaseal. As soon as I could afford it I bought a DUI CF200 and it is still going strong 1200 dives later.

:crafty:

DawgDiver:

Get a drysuit. There's nothing wrong with starting out diving wet here, but eventually as you gain more confidence and become more relaxed in the water you will get cold. Also, it's pretty miserable on the surface diving wet, getting it on and off, etc. There aren't many divers here that stick to diving wet, though a lot start out that way.

About the neoprene aging and deteriorating, it depends a lot on how it was stored. If it was hung on a proper hanger and away from any fumes, sunlight and heat it could be in good shape. Just remember to check out the seals when you pick it up. Stretch it and look for micro-deterioration.

Glad the Seattle folks could chime in. I certainly don't know anything about water temps up there, just tryin to make sure he didn't rush in to spending more money than he had to right off the bat. However make no mistake, water temps that low, my butt would be in a drysuit too :xyxnervou

Back
Top Bottom